• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

How do I set this SAS config up?

dbxuau

n00b
Joined
Apr 26, 2007
Messages
54
I need some serious help, I'm beyond stuck. I just bought myself a 2U chassis that accepts SAS drives and plugs into a hotplug SAS backplane. On the inside of the chassis, there appears to be 2 SATA ports per harddrive. I have 2 cables that go from a SFF-8087 to discrete sata and I assume the 8087 part goes into my raid card (3ware lsi 8x sas). I drew up a diagram to help display what I'm stumped on below. There are 6 drives in question.

sassetup.jpg


How do I wire this whole thing up and get it to work? Thanks a million guys.
 
If you didn't notice, SAS drives have 2 ports. Since you aren't going to be using both ports on each drive, you plug the breakout cable into one of the ports. Doesn't matter which.
 
Ah I think I understand now. When would be a scenario where I would use both ports? From what I see now, I simply go from the raid card and each drive gets a sata cable connected. These particular cables that I have also have a "sideband" connector. What is that used for, if at all?
 
You use both ports when you want redundancy/high-availability. Sideband is used for backplanes that have logic to show things like disk location and failures.
 
Is there a clearcut way to see if my particular backplane has said logic? Also, when I first boot this thing up, the raid config page should show all the drives online I'm hoping right?
 
It will be advertised as such and you will have one large backplane for all the drives along with some extra chips to enable the functionality I mentioned. The one you have has no logic. You should see all the drives on first boot in the RAID controller's BIOS setup.
 
Interesting. The backplane I have is infact one large piece that covers the whole backside behind the hotplug slots. I guess I dont really need it but sounded interesting. I really appreciate your input so far, very grateful.
 
Back
Top