How do I run 2 wireless networks off of one cable modem?

Operaghost

[H]ard|Gawd
Is it even possible?

How do I run the connections?

I have a wireless router up at the moment, but I wanted to try to setup a separate one with the Wireless N D-Link that my roomate just got.

So how would I run the connections?

Really it has nothing to do with the cable modem. Are you running DHCP off of one of the WAPs? If so, set the other WAP in bridge mode and then connect it to one of the ports on the WAP running DHCP. If it doesn't have a built-in switch, then just plug it in to your switch.

Yes, the wireless that is setup now is DHCP.

I don't know what a WAP is (shot in the dark here: Wireless Access Point?).

So I basically need to set my wireless router I have setup at the moment to "bridge mode", then I can connect from any of the ethernet ports to the uplink port on the new wireless N router? Or does it "bridge" wireless without needing a hard connection?

Sorry I don't know a whole lot about networking so I sorta need layman's terms.

Thank you for your assistance though. Much appreciated.

And make sure they are using different channels, especially if you're running the new router in G only mode, which I doubt.

A wireless router is a router + a wireless access point (WAP). The router that you're using at the moment is playing the role of DHCP server for the network. You need to login to the new router and disable DHCP so it's just basically a WAP and not doing the routing. Plug the WAN port on the new router into any port on the old router and leave the old router connected to the modem. Then setup the rest of the settings on the new router to add a password, change the network name, etc.

And make sure they are using different channels, especially if you're running the new router in G only mode, which I doubt.
Good point, preferably 1, 6, or 11.

You got the details correct otherwise. Sorry, yes WAP = Wireless Access Point, as described above.

Basically you can do it 2 ways with 2 different results.

1) Have everything on the same network, computers/devices/etc. can connect to each other on BOTH wireless networks.

Take the new wireless router, go into the setup and disable DHCP, give it an IP in the same subnet as the first router (for example, if your router now is 192.168.0.1, make the new one 192.168.0.2). Plug the new router into the old router via the LAN ports on both (do not use the WAN port on the new router at all).

2) Have the two networks separated only sharing the internet. All computers/devices/etc. can see each other on each wireless router, but not between them. This is the less ideal way as you are doing something called double NAT, but it still can work and provides some privacy.

Take the new wireless router, leave it set as default (with DHCP enabled), plug the WAN Port on the new router into one of the LAN ports on the old router.

Really it has nothing to do with the cable modem. Are you running DHCP off of one of the WAPs? If so, set the other WAP in bridge mode and then connect it to one of the ports on the WAP running DHCP. If it doesn't have a built-in switch, then just plug it in to your switch.

It does not have to be in bridge mode, there is no reason for it. Most likely bridge mode means something different anyways, for example bridging via the wireless link.

A wireless router is a router + a wireless access point (WAP). The router that you're using at the moment is playing the role of DHCP server for the network. You need to login to the new router and disable DHCP so it's just basically a WAP and not doing the routing. Plug the WAN port on the new router into any port on the old router and leave the old router connected to the modem. Then setup the rest of the settings on the new router to add a password, change the network name, etc.

That's not correct. If you plug the new router in to the old router via the WAN port on the new router you should leave DHCP ON on the new router.

That's not correct. If you plug the new router in to the old router via the WAN port on the new router you should leave DHCP ON on the new router.

It depends on the router. Some will turn all 5 ports in to standard ports (no more WAN/LAN differentiation) when you put it in bridge mode. I'm pretty sure this is what DD-WRT does unless you specify otherwise. It's been a LONG time since I've used residential equipment so things may have changed.

It depends on the router. Some will turn all 5 ports in to standard ports (no more WAN/LAN differentiation) when you put it in bridge mode. I'm pretty sure this is what DD-WRT does unless you specify otherwise. It's been a LONG time since I've used residential equipment so things may have changed.

Fair enough, I have seen that on one very expensive Belkin N wireless router, but that is it (it also had the bridge mode that worked as stated above). It is better to have generic instructions that work overall though, which is why I posted what I did above.

You should generally not be plugging into the WAN port if you want to connect two wireless routers together and create one network.

Thanks guys, I think that clears it up.

Now if I can just find time to set it all up.

You could get a small switch and plug in both routers. Run one router with a DHCP scope of 192.x.x.x network and the other either a 10.x.x.x or a 172.x.x.x network

You could get a small switch and plug in both routers. Run one router with a DHCP scope of 192.x.x.x network and the other either a 10.x.x.x or a 172.x.x.x network

Only if you have multiple public IPs or are double NATing with a modem/router combo that then goes into the 2 other routers.

Back