how do I restrict bandwidth?

x1600c

Limp Gawd
The problem: my brother's lack of courtesy. He runs his bittorrent downloads and consumes so much bandwith that it makes using the internet almost impossible.
I need to know if there is a program to set a bandwith limit. I set up the network so that all the computers run into a server via crossover cables, then the server is connected to the cable modem. all the connections are bridged, except the one connected to the cable modem. please help me find a way to limit bandwidth used by individual computers. hopefully before I behead my brother :mad:

If you indeed control the server you can block his tcp listen port and screw up his BT compeltely, until he finds bt for dummies (bitcomet) which works thru port 80 ... anywho enough spiteing.

Cant you just ask him to set some limits on the client ?

Limiting each client to a certain bw doesnt really help when only one person is on if you catch my drift.

Not to steal this thread, but since I have a virtually identical question...

I run download 24/7 and my dad can't do shit on his system as he gets around .5kb/s. Is there a way to give him a dedicated 5kb/s so my system can't steal it (opposite of the original question)? I thought that something like this was possible with switches, but I am using a router.

Back