how do i remove my thermal paste?

nyczxplizit

Limp Gawd
hi. i've heard a lot of good things about AS 5 so i decided that, if possible, to change my current thermal paste to AS 5. I would like to know how to go about removing the paste without causing any damage to any parts. Is there a safe a popular procedure? Please let me know, thanks.

if i use the isopropyl alcohol, will there be any chance in damaging the cpu or hsf? i just want to make sure that i don't screw up the process and then have to buy a whole new combo.

Isopropyl alcohol will do the trick. Additionally, many people will tell you to use a lint-free cloth, as you obviously don't want any lint getting between the heatsink and processor. My lint-free cloth had to be retired because it was mucked up with so much Artic Silver.

Here's a tip, coffee filters are lint-free, and dirt cheap, especially if you drink alot of coffee.........

i found isopropyl alcohol that's 70%. is this good enough or should i keep searching for 90% or better?

i use 70% and it works fine.
and dont worry about getting it on components, you could pour a whole bottle on your mobo and it would work fine after it dried off.

and, to clear anything up, dont lick it, and i dont know what thermal grease tastes like. Once while changing my oil, the oil filter came off and oil splashed in my face, but i doubt it tastes the same..

Head Cleaner + non-cosmetic Q-Tips work the best imo.

If it's a thermal pad -/+ adhesive, then adhesive remover is a must.

like mentioned in a post, dont worry about getting non-condutive liquids on the components, it's totally harmless.. but of course make sure its dry before powering it on :p

Back