how do i reformat XP?

GOD'SlittleSERVANT

Supreme [H]ardness
Ive been reformatting but not really, lol. i would just install a fresh xp over my old xp and i guess thats not good.......how do i completley delete everyting on my hd? thanks

boot from your XP cd and choose the option to install a new copy of windows. When you get to the partition management options, DELETE the partition you want to install windows on, then recreate it. Following that, you will be prompted to format it with NTFS or FAT. Do a quick format with NTFS and you're good to go, clean slate.

You need to make your cd-rom the first bootable device. It is in your bios, check your manual on what menu you need to change it at.

weird i just changed my first bootable from floppy to my cddrive and it still boots up normal.....any suggestions?

Do you have 2 CD drives? If so there is the ever easy solution of trying the other....but thats just my obvious solution.

There is a "Press a key to boot from CD" message after POST. If you missed that and it "times out" it will boot from the HD.

Flying Fox said:
There is a "Press a key to boot from CD" message after POST. If you missed that and it "times out" it will boot from the HD.

I can't see that message? It just boots up as normal

Disabling HDD booting works, it'll only have the CD drive to choose from :).

Just remeber to re add it after installing Windows :p

Back