How do I protect my computers from hacking from within a network?

DingDingDao

Weaksauce
So I have a network set up in my apartmen with a Netgear WGT624 connecting two boxes and a laptop, one by cat 5 cable, the other box and laptop via 802.11g connection (WEP, 128-bit). This guy in my building found my network id through his computer, and wants to pay me each month to share my internet access.

I'm perfectly fine with sharing the bandwidth, as I'm hardly home and I don't really use all the bandwidth. But I'm concerned about network security. Other than password-protecting my computers and not sharing the contents, how do I increase security on my systems to protect them from other computers inside my network? Are there any other bad things he could do with access to my WAP?

Thanks all.

If he had access to your WAP, then yes, he could concievably get into some of your computers.

Download and install a firewall onto your computers that you want to protect. Theres lots of free ones out there, like ZoneAlarm .

I second the software firewall bit......

No way to be *TOTALLY* safe, but a well configured software firewall on each machine will certainly narrow the odds....

Also, set Automatic Updates for all XP machines to automatic every night.........this will minimize user intervention to keep security patches installed and up-to-date...

If you aren't enamored with the freeware version of ZoneAlarm, try Kerio Personal Firewall.

http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html

I'll echo what's already been said. Software firewall, and update XP every night.

Also, invest in some antivirus software and keep it updated. TrendMicro PC Cillin is tough to beat.

If you have the ability to reserve an IP for a specific MAC address on your wireless router, reserve one for his MAC. That way he'll always get the same IP, and you can very easily block that IP on your firewall-protected computers. That will add another layer of protection and should keep any holes that might in your software firewall from being too big of a problem. The guy can always change his MAC address and will get a different IP, but if he's smart enough to do that and all you're protecting your PC's with is a software firewall, you've got problems. ;)

If i were you i would block the kazaa ports and other file sharing ports soo you dont get in trouble. ;)

I would fear the normal packet sniffer and wireless packet sniffers. (Ive heard people can get ssid's and decode encryption using the wireless variety, not to mention passwords)

if i were you (and im not) and had to share wifi with a neighbor, i'd block kazaa and most file sharing apps.
forward ONE torrent port to them, and make them sign something saying they're liable for anything bad that occors because of them (or be sneaky and put ALL liability on them).
and, i'd get some form of bandwidth throttling thing and tunnel them thru it. (or just get a wrt54g and sveasoft's latest firmware, depriotizing his IP with a /32 netmask, etc)

Back