• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How do I password protect folders?

matrixfan0831

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 30, 2004
Messages
276
Using XP how do I create a password protected folder? I dont want to create a compressed folder or download any program. I am doing this on over 30 computers in a high school, so I cant create 100 users.
 
are these computers stand-alone or connected to each other via network ?
 
I am not sure this is possible w/o setting up accounts. Security, in general, is based on who you are on the network and what machine you are on, not a simple password.

Each person should have their own account, password, and home folder.
 
you could always create a password protected archive using your favorite archiving app(winzip,winrar) or create a sdk using PGP or some other encryption service. Third party is really the only way for password protection.
 
The correct way to do this is to make a domain, add the desired users to a group on the domain, and then give that group access to the files. If you have a network that size & you're not on a domain, somebody's already fucked up. A HS should be able to get Windows Server for next to nothing, or you could fuck around with Linux+Samba to set up a domain. As far as I know, there's no "must enter password" option - just giving access to users/groups that have logged in.

You say they're all saving files to a central server? How is access to that controlled (please don't tell me that the machine is stand-alone (not a domain member) and all the accoutn info is local to that machine...)?
 
ameoba said:
please don't tell me that the machine is stand-alone (not a domain member) and all the accoutn info is local to that machine...)?
It's either that, or they are using one account...
 
matrixfan0831 said:
Using XP how do I create a password protected folder? I dont want to create a compressed folder or download any program. I am doing this on over 30 computers in a high school, so I cant create 100 users.
I really don't mean this to offend you, but if you aren't in the mood to create the users or more properly set up the permissions and groups (no matter what OS, by the way), then you should really hand this project off to some people who can, will, and do want to do this.
 
Meh. It's a highschool, he's (assume he's a student) probably _is_ the person who's cares enough to do this. I remember when I was in HS (grad '96) the only computer person on campus (1500+ students) was the same teacher who taught the programming classes. The district had exactly one computer person on their payroll for the whole district.
 
GreNME said:
I really don't mean this to offend you, but if you aren't in the mood to create the users or more properly set up the permissions and groups (no matter what OS, by the way), then you should really hand this project off to some people who can, will, and do want to do this.
Okay first off I am a student and my Computer Science teacher asked me if I knew how to do this. I didn't and said I knew a place where some really l33t guys might know. She is a Computer Science teacher who teaches multimedia, dig. graphics and anim., Computer Science 2, and Web Mastery. The way it is set up now you log on to some account for example multimedia. On the multimedia desktop they have shortcuts to all the programs they will need and a shortcut to their class'(in this example multimedia) server folder. This folder contains all of the projects for that class. Only an admin can access all the folders w/o logging off and relogging on as multimedia, dga etc.... As of late there have been a few incidents of students messing up other students accidentally and deliberately. So the idea of maybe being able to password protect folders sounded like a good idea. Creating accounts for 200+ students requires alot of time and some of these kids can barely make it to the server much less understand that they have to log off and back on.

Oh and a side note all of these computers have deepfreeze if for some reason that matters.

I understand if this is impossible but thx for trying guys i appreciate it
 
Okay first off I am a student and my Computer Science teacher asked me if I knew how to do this. I didn't and said I knew a place where some really l33t guys might know.
Don't get bent out of shape. :)

I wouldn't say much for the "l33t"-ness of the [H] guys, but there are some pretty decent fellows here.

Frankly, the best option for your teacher is to create a set of user accounts. The best time to do this is at the beginning of the semester, when the class lists are handed out. Right now, if the teacher wanted to take the time to do it, the best time would be over holiday break.

I know that isn't the answer you or your teacher may want to hear, but unless a third-party app is used that may make it a possibility, then that's the best course of action.
 
If you don't have admin rights on the PCs Deep Freeze will be a deal breaker. It's software that will prevent changes to the OS. So do you/your teacher have admin rights and the unlock password for Deep Freese?
 
Back
Top