How do i move "documents and settings" to my second hard drive?

johnnq

[H]ard|Gawd
i have googled...but there are so many different solutions. i just want to move the entire folder to another hard drive, and keep my first one strictly for windows. what do i change in the registry, and how do i make everything save to my second hard drive by default?

I would just copy and paste it to your second drive. You could drag and drop, but you never know.....
To change the target, right click on My Documents>properties>target folder location and change it there.

For XP:
Windows Explorer -> Right Click "My Documents" -> Properties -> "Target" Tab -> Change to whatever you like.

besides the fact that i don't have a "target" tab, there are changes i know i need to make in the registry...what do i change?? :confused:

Reboot and log in as a different user with administrative rights.
Move the profile directory where you want it. Verify your other account has the correct file system access rights (full control) once the directory is in the new location.

Change the "ProfileImagePath" value for the correct user's key to the new location under the

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

key.

(The [H] adds a space that is not there to Microsoft in the registry path above for some reason.)

Log off and log back on as the user account to verify everything is working. Viola!

mcravenufo's method is good for individual special directories, but not for the whole profile.

The same method can be used to force multiple user accounts to use the same profile. Just set their "ProfileImagePath" values to point at the same profile and make sure all their user accounts have full control rights over the directory.

ok did it. under profile list i have 5 folders...the first one "s-1-5-18" says %systemroot%\system32\config\systemprofile i didn't change this one because it didn't seem related to documents and settings. shoudl i change it?

my user 1 (oringal admin) lost cookies, the "recently used programs", and the wheat background. user 2 (made it admin) still remembers everything. did i screw something up? everything works...

Were you logged in as the user with issues when you tried to move that particular profile?

Back