How do I map a NAS drive and have it auto login?

robothunter

Limp Gawd
I have a new Synology NAS and I'm trying to get everything set up the way I want it. When I try and map a folder to my Windows 7 computer it works fine. When I reboot the mapped drive is gone. So I figure I'll check the "Reconnect at logon" box and I'll be good. Nooooooooope.

Checking that box brings up a windows enter network password logon box. I put in my password and check the "Remember my credentials" box I get "The specified network password is not correct". I have tried "Use another account".

For username I have tried:
[email protected]
username@DISKSTATION
username@WORKGROUP
10.0.0.21\username
DISKSTATION\username
\\10.0.0.21\username
\\DISKSTATION\username

I have tried editing my Windows Credentials in the credentials manager. None of that works.

I made a .bat file:
net use Z: \\10.0.0.21\homes /user:username password /persistent:yes

It works like a charm. The problem is I don't like the idea of my username and password being visible to anyone who opens my .bat file.

So can someone help me? What am I doing wrong? What is the correct way to do this without making my password visible to anyone who opens my bat file?

net use /?

The syntax of this command is:

NET USE
[devicename | *] [\\computername\sharename[\volume] [password | *]]
[/USER:[domainname\]username]
[/USER:[dotted domain name\]username]
[/USER:[username@dotted domain name]
[/SMARTCARD]
[/SAVECRED]
[[/DELETE] | [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]]

NET USE {devicename | *} [password | *] /HOME

NET USE [/PERSISTENT:{YES | NO}]

Try:

net use Z: \\10.0.0.21\homes * /user:username /persistent:yes /savecred

and it should prompt you for the password.

Of course, being Windows there are many ways to map a drive persistent using different credentials. :D

Try:

net use Z: \\10.0.0.21\homes * /user:username /persistent:yes /savecred

and it should prompt you for the password.

Of course, being Windows there are many ways to map a drive persistent using different credentials. :D

I tried. It didn't ask for my password.

Ah-ha. I got it. I was using the wrong syntax in the credentials manager. For username I put computer-name\username and it worked!

Thanks for your help guys.

If you use the same password on both, it will work properly without the batch file or other stuff.

Back