How do I make my computer operate cooler?

Webberson

Weaksauce
I have 2 settings in my bios: one for max CPU and one for video editing. My sig lists my computer specs. What I need is the settings for video editing. Right now when I transcode my video the temps go from 40°C to about 80°C and I would like that to be lower. Here are my bios settings:

For O/C
Ratio = 21.0
Bclk = 191
dram freq= 1523
cpu volt = 1.35
qpi/dram core = 1.375
CPU = 4 GHz

For video editing
all the same except
Ratio = 20.0
Bclk = 187
CPU = 3.7 GHz

Any suggestions?

In order of cost and performance (least to most):

1. Lower your overclock and/or voltage settings.
2. Get a better heatsink.
3. Go to watercooling.
4. Go to phase change cooling.
5. Use a LN2 setup.

In all reality, your temps are fine.

Easist thing it to just make sure you have good case airflow - the Megahelam is a decent cooler, but even great coolers can be stifled if the case airflow is bad. Otherwise, try a stronger fan on the cooler, or try lowering overclock/Vcore.

I'm guessing it's the 920? If so, you'll be fine upto 100*C. If you're not comfortable with that you need to increase airflow

I have a [email protected] and get temps in the same ball park, if not higher. I have a H50 push/pull. Either this HSF sucks, the HS isn't aligned perfectly straight or something. But it is linx and prime95 stable slightly below tjmax. So I'm cool with it. But would LOVE to be 10c lower so I could run at 4Ghz without hitting tjmax :/

Turn off HT. It might affect your transcoding performance, though.

best thing, make sure the CPU heatsink/radiator (if WC) is blowing air upside which will remove heat quicker than anything else.

also if the case is in corner, have back fan moving air inside and front moving air outside so air will have more chance of decapitate due to large volume.

for better heatsink, i would suggest going toward H50/60 as they are quite easy to set up and much better cooling/noise ratio compare to other heatsink.

I've got a 920 and I render 3ds Max and xcode video a LOT, my max temps are 63C during that. 1.34v on my C0 i7. If you want to spend some money, watercool, its a pretty good investment IMHO. Lower temps, dead quiet, better performance, and it only cost a block or sometimes a new mounting kit for socket upgrades.

Drop in a wall shaker air conditioner and keep your pc near it.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think I am ready for water cooling right now. I would rather use the alternate bios setting. What I was really asking is: should I change the Bclk setting or the ratio setting to get the cooler temps? I could also reduce the vcore setting since I am not maxing out my system.

If the frequency remains the same, there will be no difference in temps. The biggest factor in core temperature is the voltage. Lower voltage = lower temps.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I don't think I am ready for water cooling right now. I would rather use the alternate bios setting. What I was really asking is: should I change the Bclk setting or the ratio setting to get the cooler temps? I could also reduce the vcore setting since I am not maxing out my system.
Technically, reducing the base clock will lower your overall consumption more than reducing the ratio, since a lower base clock also reduces the chipset and RAM frequencies. Obviously, that will have a negative impact on the performance of your PC. Reducing the Vcore would be the best way to lower temperatures and power consumption without reducing performance, as long as your overclock is still stable with less voltage.

Back