How do I limit bandwidth of a static IP on my router?

Rtstrider

Gawd
My room mate is HOSING down my internet speeds. We have the Cox 6 Mbps, but with their constant downloading of *stuff* and bunches of *stuff* at a time, it's slowing down my connection to where it literally takes 30 seconds to load up msn.com. I don't want to cut off their connection completely, but I want to limit the bandwidth they are allowed to use on my router. Basically I want to do this so they won't suspect a thing. I don't want to have to deal with the "My internet's not working" crap. I have experimented by turning off their connection 1 time and told them I was performing "maintanence" on the router, and you'd better believe not even 2 seconds after that I got the "My internet's not working" knock on my bedroom door. I have DHCP disabled, and we're all set up with static IP's. His ip would be 192.168.1.3. Here is the Router I have http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=530 any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Page 46 of your manual talks about WISH which will prioritize packets...just make yours priority over the others.

Alright I'll try enabling WISH and using it, but dumb question, our network is using TCP. How do I find out what port my roomy is using?

EDIT: Or do I have to find out the limewire/utorrent ports? If so I can easily find those out
EDIT #2: I know rule # 18 btw, and if this is in line to be either removed or locked, mods please feel free to do so.

Rule # 18 states "(18) You will not discuss, suggest, engage, or encourage any ILLEGAL ACTIVITIES. Links provided to locations that deal with any such activity are also expressly forbidden."

Actually, WISH is just QoS for the wirless side of this. For the wired end of things, You just the QoS engine. If you log into the router and go to the Advanced menu across the top, then select QoS Engine.

Add in his IP (both from and to) and set the priority to 255 and your IP (both from and to)with the priority set to 1. Leave the remote IP range alone.

Here's a link to D-Link's explanation of the QoS engine in that router
http://support.dlink.com/Emulators/dir655/Help_Advanced.htm#Traffic_Shaping

PLEASE READ YOU MANUAL!

I did read my manual, I didn't completley understand the manual, so I came here to ask, and get an explanation on things.

Back