How do I know if PWM affects me?

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
I have almost been on the computer for 8-14 hours, every day for the last .. decade?

So, I don't know what it's like to go without using a PWM-free monitor. To you who know the difference: How do I know if PWM is affecting me?

Thanks.

i heard it only affects certain people with sensitive eyes. most dont even notice.

When it effects you, you can see flickering out of the corner of your eye when looking at the screen. It usually causes headaches or blurry eyes after a while.

When it effects you, you can see flickering out of the corner of your eye when looking at the screen. It usually causes headaches or blurry eyes after a while.

If I wave a pencil in front of my samsung, I see multiple pencils instead of one really long, blurred pencil - like I see against the wall or with my catleap.

Does that mean PWM probably affects me?
I tried your test with seeing flickering out the corner of my eye.. I thought I did, but I'm Extremely uncertain about it.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Everyone can see low rate PWM using the pencil trick and via their peripheral vision. It's not a test of whether you are seriously affected.

PWM has an impact on everyone to some degree, even those with excellent eyesight. It affects your brain and nervous system, not just your eyes. How much of a problem it becomes varies by person. Most people shrug off all the symptoms as simply spending too much time at their PC.

Do you get get nausea, headaches, painful eyes, raised heart rate, irritable, anxious etc after spending time in front of your display? Then PWM could be your problem.

PWM on older displays using CCFL was less of a problem due to persistence. LED has almost zero decay, so the light is flashed on and off instantly x times a second.

When you eyes start to burn from t hand held scanner they make you use at Walmart =)

Back