• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How do I know if a GPU burned out?

OriginalReaper

Bad Trader
Joined
Mar 10, 2004
Messages
224
Sup y'all

I bought a Ti4400 whose fan had stopped working. It just arrived. The first thing I did was remove the heatsink to see if the GPU was burned. Well, the GPU shows no abnormaliaties. After removing the white thermal goop, the chip looks totally uniform with no black spots.

The heatsink, however, had two small black areas. They were on opposite ends, on corners where the HS met the GPU.

The GPU looks totally in tact. I paid $10 and am hoping a simple new GPU HSF will fix this up and give me a good deal.

I'm wondering, for those of you that have experience with this, will the video card work?
 
Hard to say...I know some of them can withstand a phenomenal amount of abuse...I have seen videocards heat up to the point they just die over and over, then change the fan and they worked....I also had a few that got flung fairly hard into my junk parts box then later retrieved and worked...lol (don't worry they were junk)...all I can say is if it doesn't look or smelled burnt it may be ok, check along the edges of the chip for any anomallies like rough spots or pinholes.....
 
why dont you just put a heatsink on it and find out dude. lol
 
just got it, am at work, couple more hours to go, won't have a GPU fan until tomorrow, nothing left to do but ask.

Mmk?
 
Back
Top