How do I install windows XP off flash drive?

all ill say is good luck!!! it is such a pain in the ass to install xp from a flash drive.

i would recommend buying (or borrowing) a cheap ass usb cdrom drive, or putting vista or 7 on there.

XP should be easy to install from a flash drive. I'll give you some basics. This, and google, should get you everything you need.

1. Make the USB Drive Bootable
You will need to use something like the HP Flash Drive utility and a Win98 boot disk.

2. Configure disk caching
The install will take FOREVER if you don't install something like SMARTDRV. It's easy -- you just copy the SMARTDRV.EXE files to your USB drive and make a reference in autoexec.bat/config.sys

3. Copy install files to the USB Drive
All you need is the stuff under \i386. You can copy the whole directory to the USB drive, or all the files... and you can put it in any directory you want.

4. Boot from the USB Drive

5. Setup XP
You'll want to change to the drive letter of your USB drive and then change to the directory that contains the files from the i386 directory of your CDRom. Now start the setup by typeing WINNT.

It's not really that difficult and your link is way more elaborate than what you really need.

Back