How do I install an Operating System onto a PC?

Chained2f8

n00b
I have never actually installed an operating system onto a base system before but need to install one onto a system my Brother-in-law recently purchased. The OS I am installing is Windows 98 and I have the Full retail version as opposed to the Upgrade or OEM versions. In order to do the installation am I supposed to insert the disk and then set the BIOs to boot from the Cd-Rom?

Yep, and you will follow the directions from there. If this is a somewhat recent system, your brother in law won't want Win98 on it. I wouldn't waste my time, unless it was Windows 2000 or Windows XP. There's a chance that Win98 drivers won't exist for the newer hardware.

Thanks for the quick response djnes, I figured this was the correct method to go about installing the system but just wanted to make sure before attempting the install. This is an older system though which is the reasoning behind the use of Windows 98. I am running into a problem though - the CD will not load. Instead I'm hearing the cd spin and sort of a straining noise coming from the cd tray. I believe this system may need a new Cd-Rom drive.

That is probably the most likely solution. If the CD looks okay (no scratches, etc), and you're still hearing weird noises from the drive, it's probably bad. Since it's an older system, you should still be able to find the drivers for Win98.

Back