How do I install a SATA drive on my Asus A8V Deluxe?

Aelfgeft

2[H]4U
Never used SATA before, total noob. However, both of my current IDE drives have been acting up, so I figured it's time for a new drive.

I currently have two IDE drives set up on the first IDE channel, and two optical drives on the second. The first IDE drive is Windows and a partition for games. The second is storage.

Now, I have the new SATA drive plugged in, and the VIA SATA controller installed. When I boot up, I can see the VIA controller looking for and finding the new drive. However, it doesn't show up in Windows! I'm on Service Pack 2, updated up the ass. Am I forgetting something? :confused:

the SATA drivers have to be installed to the hard disk before the RAID controller can recognize it.

tbh, i dont know how to do it in from windows, however if you boot your winxp CD and press F5 or F8 (whichever tells windows you have raid drivers) then insert the disk, it will do it all for you. it will then start to install windows to the disk, if you stop the installation after the files are copied to it, then you can boot into your real windows (off the IDE drive) and format the SATA drive.

its a ghetto way to do it, but it works. im sure theres a way to do it from inside windows. try the website of your board manufacturer and your SATA controller manufacturer's websites. gl

I don't think you need to install drivers unless your using Raid? You might just need to turn it on in your bios. That's all I had to do for my Asus A8N-SLI. But yours could be different, not really sure. :)

Kathy

Well, ATM I don't want to go through another reinstall of Windows, I just wanted to use the drive for storage for a while.

I have the SATA BootROM enabled in the bios.

As I said, it does show up when the system is booting, but does not show up in my drive list.

UPDATE: W00t! Found my answer! Went into disk management and I just had to assign it a drive letter. All looks good now. Thanks for all suggestions! :)

Have you tried going to the hard drive manufactures website and downloading their bootable setup utility to format the drive?

I always like a happy ending. :D Glad you got it working! :)

Kathy

Back