How do I get my video onto Windows?

Hello guys I have another problem. I borrowed my friends camcorder to edit a video we are doing, but how I do I get the video from the camera onto my hard drive? I have the camcorder hooked up on USB, but everytime I connect the USB from the camera to my computer, it just says new gardware found. Is there suposed to be some sort of CD that came with the video camera to allow me to send the video from the camera to the computer? The camera is a miniDV and I'm trying to get the video on my hard drive, or at least so I can edit it on my computer.

Thank.

You can use Windows Movie Maker (not the best out there, but its there). But, if the camera is anything like mine or many others out there, USB only works for using it like a webcam. I have to use the firewire connection to transfer video.

Awww that would suck. I got my friends USB cord right here. He uses the USB cord for his PSP and all works fine for him. The cord works fits the camcorder and all that happens is it says new hardware found. I really don't want to buy a firewire cord. Maybe there is another way to transfer the video?

Back