How do I force Matlab to use the AMD core math library?

ScotteusMaximus

Limp Gawd
so yeah, the subject line pretty much says it all. i do a lot of computationally intensive work with matlab with large matrices and stuff, and it gets frustrating waiting for matlab to finish computing things. i want to use the newest AMD core math library because the BLAS for the version of matlab that i'm using are disgustingly out of date, making the computer in my sig slower than a northwood running at 3.0.

i forced the computer i use in the lab i work in to use the MKLs optimized for intel machines (it's the P4 3.0), and on a few preliminary tests, the compute time went from 16 seconds with the default matlab settings, to 7 seconds with the intel math library, to a shade over 4 with the intel library and multithreading. my [email protected], running the default athlon library gets a little over 5 seconds.

If you're under Linux, you might wanna try something with the LD_LIBRARY_PATH and LD_PRELOAD environment variables - this is kind of a generic solution, there might be a way to do it inside Matlab.

i'm running x64. what's dumb is that the mathworks site has instructions on how to do it for linux, but nothing for windows. the only thing they have for windows is how to force matlab to use the intel mkl.

If you have the way to force Intel, the AMD way can't be far off.

yeah, i'm just not sure on the specifics for AMD. for intel, you set an environment variable called "BLAS_VERSION" with a value of mkl.dll. i can't even get matlab to run unless i set the value to "atlas_Athlon.dll," but that's optimized for older athlon chips. mathworks said to download the latest AMD core math library, which has different .dll files and .lib files for newer chips, i just don't know how to get matlab to recognize those. i vaguely recall reading something saying that you have to compile your own .dll, but i'm not sure how to go about doing that with the files that i have.

Call them?

IIRC, it's not cheap software & part of what you're paying for is support.

Back