How do I Fix my Ethernet Connection?

RhoXS

Weaksauce
Two days ago, just after reinstalling ESET V4, my normally very well behaved machine started giving me a problem connecting to my Ethernet network. This is not a hardware issue because the problem does not occur if I boot off a two week old backup clone.

Normally, my machine connects to my hardwired Ethernet network immediately when starting, either from sleep or a cold boot. A few days ago, immediately after extending my ESET subscription, uninstalling ESET, and then installing a newer version, it stopped connecting immediately. It now takes anywhere from two to ten minutes to establish a connection. It just sits there with a red 'X' in the network sysmbol until it suddenly, without any apparent reason, decides to connect. The delay is not consistent, has been as long as ten minutes, but is more typically two to four minutes. Once it does establish the connection, there is no more problem, until I shut it down and have to restart it or wake it up.

The W7 troubleshooter sometimes says there is a problem it cannot resolve with the network device and sometimes says there is a driver issue. I downloaded and installed new drivers from Gigabyte. The Device Manager consistently indicates the network devices are properly installed and operating. I uninstalled ESET per ESETs direction using their DOS based uninstaller. I also assured Windows Defender functions were totally disabled. All to no avail

ESET technical support has tried to help but they are at a loss. I cannot roll back to a restore point because, for some unknown reason, the restore function was disabled (that is fixed know). As I said, this is not a hardware issue because everything works perfectly when I boot off a two week old clone.

Why does my machine delay connecting to the local ethernet network? It will eventually always connect but it typically takes about 4 minutes for it to decide to do so. Its as if it is unaware there is a cable plugged into the motherboard integrated network adapter.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks soytusandwich, that worked perfectly.

Appreciate the good suggestion and also need to compliment you on thinking about something so simple and effective so quickly. I did not see your reply until just now but when I got home from work this morning I tried the same thing. You seemed to come up with the idea within 9 minutes of me posting the question. It took me all night and most of yesterday afternoon to think of it.

Back