How do I find out my ISP's DHCP server name?

InorganicMatter

[H]F Junkie
I am trying to set up a smoothwall, and it wants to know how I get my IP on the "RED" NIC. The options are Static, DHCP, and like PPOE or something. I know it is DHCP, as that is how my router gets it's IP. How do I find out the DHCP hostname of my ISP so I can configure smoothwall?

If you didn't have to fill in a DHCP ID on your router, you don't need to in Smoothwall either. You may have to power cycle your Cable or DSL modem first but that takes what, 30 seconds?

Alright, I just put in gibberish. It doesn't work. Here is my config:

WWW >>> Cable Modem >>> Switch>>> Smoothwall>>> Router >>> Switch >>> Network

I have tried it with and without the switch in red (thought maybe I couldn't go straight from box to router) but no luck. I can see and talk to the smoothie just fine, but can't get any internet. What am I doing wrong here?

Are you rebooting the modem whenever you switch what is plugged into it?

You will need to do this because the modem will tie itself to the mac address of whatever device it is plugged into, and not pass data from any other device.

Edit: There is no need to use the "red" switch that us between the modem, and smoothwall box..

Also why do you have the other router still in place?

Gertrude said:
Are you rebooting the modem whenever you switch what is plugged into it?

You will need to do this because the modem will tie itself to the mac address of whatever device it is plugged into, and not pass data from any other device.
Trying that now...

EDIT - Nope, no go.

Try using a crossover cable in place of the red switch in your layout if you haven't already.

As for your other problem with the modem not assigning an IP to the smoothie, check your config and make sure that dhcpd is starting as a service so that it's up to actually recieve an IP.

If so, check your external adapter to see if maybe it is getting an IP but the box is handling it wrong. Do an "ifconfig eth0" and look for an external IP assigned from the modem.

Not just reboot, but reset the modem. It is likely bound to the first mac address it saw, and a reset is the only way to convince it otherwise.

Usually a small button on the back that you will need a paperclip to get to.

XOR != OR said:
Not just reboot, but reset the modem. It is likely bound to the first mac address it saw, and a reset is the only way to convince it otherwise.

Usually a small button on the back that you will need a paperclip to get to.
Powered down the modem, and left it for a few minutes. When I powered it back in, all the lights came on. Everything works fine now. Wierd, but I'm happy :D

sac_tagg said:
Powered down the modem, and left it for a few minutes. When I powered it back in, all the lights came on. Everything works fine now. Wierd, but I'm happy :D
That'll work too. Different modems take different things, but it's pretty universal for them to bind to a mac address. A long power down or a manual reset usually wipes them.

Typically a manual reset. Glad the long powerdown worked for you

If you start to really like Smoothwall. Try out IPCOP. www.ipcop.org I really like this compared to Smoothwall (It is structured off of it). Nice features and good stability.

Back