How do I do a dual boot?

Which Ones

n00b
How do I do a dual boot?

I want to have my main Windows XP Pro SP2 on my computer but at the same time...have suse linux. How do I do that? How does a dual boot looks like? If I'm correct is it like..when you first boot your computer you pick which OS you use or what?

Btw, is it diffcult?
Thanks.

i have suse and win xp sp2

step 1.: make 2 partition

step 2 .: install xp pro

step 3.: put in the suse linux cd/dvd

step 4 .: follow the on screen directions to format the other partition and install SUSE

step 5 .: enjoy

it is really easy, you dont really have to do anything, installing suse is almost just like installing windows xp except it is faster

but when you boot your computer do I get to pick which OS I want to use?? or what?

how do I pick which os I want to use when I boot my computer?

and what do you mean by partiation or somethng?

that is why you install windows first.

the suse disk includes a boot selector, and automatically installs it when you install suse.

then when you boot up you will get a blue (suse pro) or green (suse personal) screen with the different Operating systems listed on it. suse will be the default at first but you can edit the config of the boot loader to make windows the default choice if you wanted to.

compslckr said:
that is why you install windows first.

the suse disk includes a boot selector, and automatically installs it when you install suse.

then when you boot up you will get a blue (suse pro) or green (suse personal) screen with the different Operating systems listed on it. suse will be the default at first but you can edit the config of the boot loader to make windows the default choice if you wanted to.

how do I switch around....how can I make windows the default choice?

It depends on the boot loader that is installed.

If it's LILO, you can specify the default OS to boot with the default keyword. If it's Grub, you also use default, but give the number of the OS in the list. (Starts from 0).

BillLeeLee said:
It depends on the boot loader that is installed.

If it's LILO, you can specify the default OS to boot with the default keyword. If it's Grub, you also use default, but give the number of the OS in the list. (Starts from 0).

any screenshoot possible?

Code:
default 0

timeout 15

splashimage=(hd1,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Linux 2.6.8
root=(hd1,0)
kernel /gentoo-2.6.8 root=/dev/hdb5 video=mtrr,vesafb:1600x1200 vga=0x31A
initrd=/boot/initrd-gentoo-1280x1024

title=Linux 2.6.7
root=(hd1,0)
kernel /gentoo-2.6.7 root=/dev/hdb5 video=mtrr,vesafb:1280x1024 vga=0x31A

#gentoo 2.6.5-r1 with pure udev and framebuffer
title=Gentoo 2.6.5-r1
root=(hd1,0)
kernel /gentoo-2.6.5-r1 root=/dev/hdb5 video=mtrr,vesafb:1280x1024 vga=0x31A

# Windows XP Professional boot options
title=Windows XP Professional
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

That's my grub.conf file. As you can see, it says My default is 0. With grub, 0 is the first OS in the list. If I wanted Windows to be the default with this configuration, I'd say "default 3" as it's the 4th one (and remember, they start from 0, which is why I say "default 3" and not "default 4"

Now, for LILO...
Code:
boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
lba32
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.0-0.43.6
	label=linux
	initrd=/boot/initrd-2.4.0-0.43.6.img
	read-only
	root=/dev/hda5

other=/dev/hda1
	label=windows

See that "default=linux" line? Well, the default line accepts a string that is the same as one of the labels. If you want windows to be the default, specify "default=windows" if you label that "windows"

I don't use LILO myself (have almost always used Grub, except when I was running an old version of SuSE and Slackware).

I think newer versions of SuSE use Grub as it's default bootloader?

Note: Don't copy anything that any of my configuration says, you have to change stuff according to where your Windows partition is located, and what kernel and such you use. Just a heads up. ;)

I've never used suse, but if it's like MAndrake or RedHat, don't do the automatic config and install or you may overWright your windows. Use a custom install so you can choose the partition to put it on.

snapshot111522.png

there is how my dual boot is configured. i just right click on the names of the operating systems and i can goto default to set that OS as default. i can also hide OS's from the list or add other OS's to the list

http://1stclasspcs.com/uploaded/img_0698.jpg

glad you got it all figured out.

btw, can you have tripo dual..

i was wondering that..

like having Windows XP PRO SP2, Linux SuSE, and Windows 2003 together..

can that happen..because I saw the pic above have like 3 os..can can you do that..

having Windows XP PRO SP2, Linux SuSE, and Windows 2003 together..?

and if I have Windows XP PRO SP2 and Linux SuSE do I need 2 harddrives?

and if I have Windows XP PRO SP2, Linux SuSE, and Windows 2003 together.. do I need 3 harddrives?

please answer all of my questions..if possible..I will be really appreicate..

thanks.

Which Ones said:
btw, can you have tripo dual..

i was wondering that..

like having Windows XP PRO SP2, Linux SuSE, and Windows 2003 together..

Yes you can

can that happen..because I saw the pic above have like 3 os..can can you do that..

having Windows XP PRO SP2, Linux SuSE, and Windows 2003 together..?

You just add more lines to lilo.conf or grub.conf. One entry for each OS

and if I have Windows XP PRO SP2 and Linux SuSE do I need 2 harddrives?

No, you can install them on the same hard drive, you just need a partition for each one

and if I have Windows XP PRO SP2, Linux SuSE, and Windows 2003 together.. do I need 3 harddrives?

See response to previous

please answer all of my questions..if possible..I will be really appreicate..

thanks.

Err, filler space

A partition is a section of a hard drive.

For example, you have an 80 GB hard drive. You could partition it into something like 2 40 GB partitions (minus overhead). Now you'd have 1 physical hard drive, but 2 logical drives.

Hmm, you changed your question while I was responding.

You can either partition with a dynamic partitioning tool like Partition Magic, or you can use fdisk to wipe out a current partition and then break up that space into separate partitions.

BillLeeLee said:
A partition is a section of a hard drive.

For example, you have an 80 GB hard drive. You could partition it into something like 2 40 GB partitions (minus overhead). Now you'd have 1 physical hard drive, but 2 logical drives.

Hmm, you changed your question while I was responding.

You can either partition with a dynamic partitioning tool like Partition Magic, or you can use fdisk to wipe out a current partition and then break up that space into separate partitions.

screen or links?

Back