How do i do 3 monitors?

Nick_Leo

[H]ard|Gawd
Ive got a 680i motherboard and a 8800gts currentally in my pc. in my other pc in the closet i have a 6600 could i put that on my motherboard along with the 8800 and use the 6600 to run a 3rd monitor? if so is it just a matter of putting the card in and it works?

I think so...

Give it a try anyway, not like it's gonna explode or anything.

yes you basically add the second video card...you may or may not have to install drivers and boom there is your new monitor.

not like it's gonna explode or anything.

:p

It should work fine.. the only thing that I think may be a problem is drivers... check and make sure that the driver your using for your 8800 will support your 6600...

EDIT... shit.. I type slow...

Realize, though, that although two video cards with give you three monitors for Windows desktop work, it will NOT work for gaming (outside of a game specifically designed for multi-monitor such as FSX).

To play games over three monitors, you would need ethier the Matrox TripleHead2Go box or the software solution SoftTH.

The Matrox box works many more games than the software solution and also enables you to use SLI so you can drive 3840x1024 (the max allowed currently).

That looks really interesting......have you actually got it to work?

On my desk I currently have, from left to right, Ubuntu 7.04 on a 19" 4.3 crt, Vista on dual 19" widescreens and Fedora 7 on a 19" 4.3 crt.... So, if I have read the config correctly, my best bet would be to use my Ubuntu box as the Synergy server machine...... right? Anything else you could advise?

On my desk I currently have, from left to right, Ubuntu 7.04 on a 19" 4.3 crt, Vista on dual 19" widescreens and Fedora 7 on a 19" 4.3 crt.... So, if I have read the config correctly, my best bet would be to use my Ubuntu box as the Synergy server machine...... right? Anything else you could advise?

You need to install Synergy on all the computers but only select one to be used as the server (the one whos mouse and KB you will be using). Pretty neat program but I haven't tried it on anything but Windoze.

You need to install Synergy on all the computers but only select one to be used as the server (the one whos mouse and KB you will be using). Pretty neat program but I haven't tried it on anything but Windoze.

Thanks... after reading through the link... it is clearly written for *nix.. but works on Windows.. now here is a stupid question for ya.... where do I download the Windows flavor? Can't seem to find it... does the i386 install work on Windows as well as *nix? I understand how to get it installed on Linux, but is there an installer for Windows?

Ideally I would like to use my Vista machine as the server, as I have my MX518 and Edge on that machine.... it would be sooooo nice to ditch my other keyboards, they take up so much space an getting a KVM to work under Linux is... difficult, at best.....

I have it working all over. Laptops over wireless with workstations, multiple-desktops at home. Mixed OSes. Almost all of our employees (at work) use synergy in some capacity, since everyone has at least dual screens. It basically works like this. You move your mouse accross ALL your monitors on your desktop, made up of any machines on your network (you can even do it over a VPN), wherever your mouse is, is where your keyboard is currently active. You can even copy-paste.

What you need to do is pick a single keyboard and mouse... ;) Probably your best set. Toss the rest, since *nix doesnt barf on you if you dont have a KB and mouse plugged in I would use the Vista machine as your server. Install the software on each machine and give the clients the IP of the server. I havent set it up in the past 6 months but I think you need to have a working hostname/IP combo when configuring the clients on the server.

Then you just need to add the geometry to where on the screen the mouse transitions over to the other computer and in what direction they sit in relation to another. The geometry is very useful if you have mixed sized monitors, a 24" LCD sitting next to a 19" CRT for instance. You could line them up so that where they PHYSICALLY align is where the mouse transitions over.

A working synergy setup is fucking sick. Mark my words, you get it working properly you will be back on here in 5 saying thank you. :) Let me know if you need more help...

A working synergy setup is fucking sick. Mark my words, you get it working properly you will be back on here in 5 saying thank you. :) Let me know if you need more help...

I already am;)

I'm at work right now, but I'm going to get it working when I get home... I have been wanting something like this for quite some time.... so yeah, thanks for the heads up, and I can assure you, I will likely have a few questions...... pm's ok with you??

Thanks again....

Does synergy work with full screen apps now? I tried it this spring, but whenever I moused off a machine running a full screen app it immediately minimized.

The only app I found that did behave with full screen apps was multiplicity. It comes in 2 flavors a $30 2 machine version and a $50 7 machine + file copy version. Only windows atm. A mac port has been promised for over a year but has yet to see the light of day. Supposedly a *nix port is in the works after the mac one, but I wouldn't hold my breath on it.

http://www.stardock.com/products/multiplicity/

Yeah, i've done webex broadcasts with it on the client machine. so yeah it works with full screen.

*edit*
actually now that I'm thinking about it, one of the dev's here plays Eve online on his laptop while he codes. Pretty funny...

Sorry for digging this thread up.....but..... I've hit a brick wall with Synergy and could use a bit of help here.... tgR... your not set up to accept pm... hit me up if you have a minute...

Ive got a 680i motherboard and a 8800gts currentally in my pc. in my other pc in the closet i have a 6600 could i put that on my motherboard along with the 8800 and use the 6600 to run a 3rd monitor? if so is it just a matter of putting the card in and it works?

sounds like ur looking for a matrox triplehead2go or whatever they call it. idk how using the 6600 independently of the 8800s will work though.

The original question seemed pretty straight forward to me, "Can I add a second card to use 3 monitors?".

The simple answer is absolutely, in both XP and Vista.

To make sure it works:
- download the latest nVidia drivers.
- uninstall video drivers
- shutdown
- install the 6600 and connect 3rd monitor
- start system
- select cancel when "Found New Hardware" dialog comes up (usually twice).
- Install nVidia drivers (Reboot if required by install)
- After reboot, go to Display Properties and you "Attach" (enable) all the available monitors
- Welcome to the Triple Display Club :D

Total cost: $0.00.

If you get this far, please take a couple of pics and post them here.

Good Luck.

Back