How do I detect a device on the network without knowing the IP?

S

SirKenin

I have a print server that I am trying to utilize from Hawking Technology. A floppy disk originally came with it to do what I am trying to do but I don't have it now.

Anyways, I have two Windows 2000 servers and three XP Pro workstations. From any one of them, what can I use to detect the presence of this device on the network and establish it's IP? I think from there I should be able to access it and change the IP to one that is in the same subnet.

Thanks

If its using DHCP you can always monitor the network with ethereal and see what address it picks up. If not, check the manual and see what range it defaults to, switch to that range, and do some nmap ping sweep. If the device is configured statically you can always reset it so it'll match the manual. Once you've got its ip you should be able to configure it through whatever means they give you.

I had to setup a camera a while back using this method and it was a total freakin' pita.

1) Scan your dhcp range with ethereal or something similar.

2) Look at manual, it will tell you if it was originally set up to use DHCP or what its static IP address is if it doesn't.

3)Go to manufacturers website and download the program that was on the floppy.

**edit**

If everything else is firewalled, port scan for 9100. Thats the port for IP printing and the printserver will have it open.

the node ID is printed on the label. I also need a crash course in how to use that ethereal to scan ports. I don't have the time to do much in the way of reading unfortunately. Also, I'm not familiar with doing a ping sweep. Some pointers there would be a plus.

Thanks.

I typically use arping, as long as I have the MAC address. Otherwise you could use a port scanner, and do your whole IP range.

Also, check your DHCP server log. It should list what IP was given to the print server.

JTY said:
I typically use arping, as long as I have the MAC address. Otherwise you could use a port scanner, and do your whole IP range.

Also, check your DHCP server log. It should list what IP was given to the print server.
I don't have DHCP enabled on my server. I disabled it and did everything manually. I guess I could try enabling the DHCP and see what happens if I absolutely had to. Arping might work.

arp doesn't work. It wants me to specify the IP as well as the MAC addy, and I don't have the IP. Grrrr. This is aggravating.

SirKenin said:
arp doesn't work. It wants me to specify the IP as well as the MAC addy, and I don't have the IP. Grrrr. This is aggravating.

With the MAC address you can connect to it with a cross over cable, tell your PC to associate MAC address *whatever_the_MAC_addy_is* with IP *whatever_you want_it_to_be*

Telnet into said device, and make whatever changes you need to make.

Remember IP address allows you to connect to a device when you aren't on the same physical network, once you are on the same physcial network you can use MAC addressing.

Here is a method that I have used to fool a PC into finding a device:

use arp -s 192.168.xxx.xxx 00-aa-00-62-c6-09 to add a static entry into the arp table. 192.168.xxx.xxx is just a made up address and the other number is the MAC address of the device you want to get into. It doesn't matter what IP address you use as long as it is on your subnet.

Then you can browse or telnet to the 192.168.xxx.xxx address on that PC and see what the real address is.

When you get done use arp -d 192.168.xxx.xxx to clear the static arp entry.

Bean Dip said:
Here is a method that I have used to fool a PC into finding a device:

use arp -s 192.168.xxx.xxx 00-aa-00-62-c6-09 to add a static entry into the arp table. 192.168.xxx.xxx is just a made up address and the other number is the MAC address of the device you want to get into. It doesn't matter what IP address you use as long as it is on your subnet.

Then you can browse or telnet to the 192.168.xxx.xxx address on that PC and see what the real address is.

When you get done use arp -d 192.168.xxx.xxx to clear the static arp entry.
I tried this. The arp entry addition failed with an error message followed by -5. I'm going to throw this thing out the window in a minute. I don't need a print server that bad. I have enough computers lying around, I should just build a print server and get it over with. :( It's just that this one is super small and my office space seems to be at a premium at the moment.

Is there anyway to reset it to factory default? Or, baring that, push a new firmware to it? That is what I had to do with my ps110 that I bought off ebay.

Ok, I got it. You guys were right, but I had to find a computer with only one NIC in it and use the crossover cable. I also had to log on as Administrator. Now that brings me to my next problem. I don't have the driver disk so I can't add a Network Print Port that it is asking for. *sigh*. What next? :(

in xp and 2k you can add the printer via the printserver,

add printer>local printer (uncheck plug and play)>create new port>tcp/ip> put in ip address and name it whatever you want.

thats for xp, i dont have a 2k machine running.

codegrinder said:
in xp and 2k you can add the printer via the printserver,

add printer>local printer (uncheck plug and play)>create new port>tcp/ip> put in ip address and name it whatever you want.

thats for xp, i dont have a 2k machine running.
Yeah I tried that. I can add the port fine, although it says that it has found an unknown device. I try to manually configure it and print a test page, but it doesn't work.

codegrinder said:
you will need the software off the hawking webpage then
I went there looking for it, but the downloads page has been removed from the website. I sent them an email too, but so far nothing. Aargh. This sucks.

All it says is Hawking Technology 10/100 Print Server. It's a beige rectangular box, but rather flat. I can't find any other information about it anywhere, except for the node id.

codegrinder said:
Thank you so much. The first one had my product. http://www.hawkingtech.com/support/details.php?CatID=33&FamID=94&ProdID=78 On that page was the software I so desperately needed. I REALLY appreciate all your help. It was useless without it. Now I got both printers on the network via the server. One more piece to my network saga put into place.

Back