How do I delete the "show desktop" button in Win7?

spotdog14

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to delete the "show desktop" button off of the task bar in Windows 7, how do I do it?

Thanks

Just like with any other icon in the task bar, drag it out, then a menu will pop up. You can take if from there... :)

And btw, you can turn in your [H] card on your way out. :D

Just like with any other icon in the task bar, drag it out, then a menu will pop up. You can take if from there... :)

And btw, you can turn in your [H] card on your way out. :D

it does not seem to be working, i am referring to the icon to the right of the clock in the classic theme.

Classic theme in Windows 7... talk about a step backwards. Anyway, that's not an icon, its a feature of the task bar. As far as I know, it can't be turned off.

How come you're using classic theme? :eek:

I found something you may want to check out, might be worth buying.

http://www.directdeals.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=A66-00095-OEM&zmam=1527582&zmas=4&zmac=19&zmap=A66-00095-OEM

All jokes aside, isn't there a way where you can right click the taskbar and customize it? In there I think you can add/remove certain buttons and toolbars.

I've never heard anyone not wanting this button, I love the "Show Desktop" feature. Do you want to remove it because it hides open windows when you hold your mouse over it, or are you accidentally clicking it. I did a search and here's an article that disables the feature that hides windows when you hover over it.

http://www.askvg.com/has-microsoft-removed-show-desktop-shortcut-in-windows-7/

How come you're using classic theme? :eek:

I found something you may want to check out, might be worth buying.

http://www.directdeals.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=A66-00095-OEM&zmam=1527582&zmas=4&zmac=19&zmap=A66-00095-OEM

All jokes aside, isn't there a way where you can right click the taskbar and customize it? In there I think you can add/remove certain buttons and toolbars.

I've never heard anyone not wanting this button, I love the "Show Desktop" feature. Do you want to remove it because it hides open windows when you hold your mouse over it, or are you accidentally clicking it. I did a search and here's an article that disables the feature that hides windows when you hover over it.

http://www.askvg.com/has-microsoft-removed-show-desktop-shortcut-in-windows-7/

I want to delete it because its large, and I can get the same functionality by right clicking on the taskbar and goign to show the desktop. I am running the classic theme because its running in a VM on my Ubuntu laptop.

I wonder if there is a registry key under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer

You may be able to do some digging around in that registry, but... you know.

im also looking for a way to remove this.

i've got a completely legitimate reason too. I keep nothing on the desktop, so i'll never use the little rectangle. I do however change my default sound output device all the time. as it is, the rectangle is the rightmost object on the taskbar and the sound icon is the 2nd rightmost. if I could remove the rectangle I would be able to throw the mouse to the corner and open the sound panel without having to look.

as far as I know, it cant be removed. you all will just have to live with it.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I don't have any problem with the button but I actually wondered if you could get rid of it too. I don't have anything on my desktop (except for the recycling bin), and I don't run any gadgets. For me I really don't see any point in having Aero Peak. You can uncheck Aero Peak in the taskbar settings, but the button remains and you can click it to show the desktop. I was hoping that would have removed the whole button.

I can live with it there, but it is useless to me.

You can't remove it, but it can be turned off. Right click on taskbar, go to properties, then go to bottom of window and uncheck show desktop with Aero Peek. That will turn it off.

You can't remove it, but it can be turned off. Right click on taskbar, go to properties, then go to bottom of window and uncheck show desktop with Aero Peek. That will turn it off.

It will turn off the button's function (to show the desktop when a mouse is pointed over it) but will not remove the button itself.

the show desktop icon can now be permanently removed with "7 taskbar tweaker"

it really removes the icon and doesn't just hide it or something
i'm already using it for months and never had it re-appear

Nothing wrong with thread necromancy when you have a solution - search engines and their users will be pleased to find it. :p

There are numerous tools that do that, BTW, if you don't find that one to your liking. There are also similar ones that get rid of the start button.

They find the handle of the part of the UI and set it's properties to hide it - it can be done with any part of any program, using simple Win32 API calls.

Back