how do i creat threads for screws?

Nexxus

Limp Gawd
ok.. So I'm in the processor of cutting out part of my alluminum case. and Im putting plexi behind it. So.. I need a way to attach the plexi to the side of the case and I want to be safe and use screws. So How do i go about threading the alluminum and the plexi?

I apologize im a modding noob =P

At least you appologized for your nubism........but you didn't appologize for your bad grammar so now I must smite you. ................*smite*

........Find the screw you want to use, then go find a tap that matches it (so u can make the threads in the hole). It should come with another bit just a bit smaller than it. Drill with the smaller bit first then tap the hole. The screw should go in fine.

Thanks a million

I know my grammar aplogy is past due but....

Sorry for my grammer :D

Nexxus said:
ok.. So I'm in the processor of cutting out part of my alluminum case. and Im putting plexi behind it. So.. I need a way to attach the plexi to the side of the case and I want to be safe and use screws. So How do i go about threading the alluminum and the plexi?

I apologize im a modding noob =P
threading ehh?... you need to use taps... but i hear taps are expensive so i would suggest just align and drill several clean thread-less holes and use bolts

Another recommendation to add to Qtip's is that you should only tap one of the two parts being connected. The other one should be drilled to full screw diameter.

Another tip for that is to use a dull drill bit, support the sheet with wood block. That way would "leave" more metal behind the hole, might give you an extra thread when tap it.

wayne said:
threading ehh?... you need to use taps... but i hear taps are expensive so i would suggest just align and drill several clean thread-less holes and use bolts

They're cheap as hell.............dont worry about it. The most he'll spend is $4

Qtip42 said:
They're cheap as hell.............dont worry about it. The most he'll spend is $4
well there was this thread a while back about water rads being tapped and people say kits for those are expensive and they should get other people on the forum to tap their rads for money or something

btw, where?

Most any decent hardware store will sell a tap and die set for $30 which would give you numerous thread types and sizes. A single tap can be obtained for cheep. Check Home Depo or Lowe's.

Nexxus said:
ok.. So I'm in the processor of cutting out part of my alluminum case.

Lol, that is sooo funny how you wrote processor instead of process. I've seen this done on the [H] sooo many times! I have done it many times myself.... :p

But yeah, Qtip's got it down... :D

There is such thing as a tapered screw tap; maybe that's where you heard the reference.

Steak said:
Another tip for that is to use a dull drill bit, support the sheet with wood block. That way would "leave" more metal behind the hole, might give you an extra thread when tap it.

Actually a dull drill will usually create an oversize hole.......and using dull cutting tools is usually the precursor to screwing something up.

just a note - a 6/32 thread size is common on computer items and a good size to get if getting one tap. I bought a small set of taps and corresponding bits for under $15.

If you decide to use screws create threads in the plexi/aluminum to secure them to, be VERY CAREFUL. I've had experience with lucite (which is the same as plexi) that it is VERY hard to tap it without cracking it. Don't turn the tap more than one turn before you reverse and go back. After its started out, go in 1 turn, then out 1/2 of a turn, then in 1 turn, and so on.

I'd highly suggest just drilling the holes for use with nuts. You can use lock nuts (nuts with nylon locking inserts) to fasten them tight enough not to crack the plexi, while still preventing them from vibrating loose. It will cost a little bit more, but it also saves time. I've tapped MANY holes in my life, mostly in very thick & fussy aluminum, and love to use lock nuts when I can.

If you intend to tap aluminum....WD40 is one of the best aluminum cutting fluids known to man....I keep a small can on every machine and bench in the shop.

there are 3 basic types of hand taps ,

Tapered - end of tap comes to a point , used for through hole and thread starting.
Plug - end of tap is almost flat , i honestly forget why
Bottoming - end of tap is flat - using for getting thread all the way down to bottom of hole.

Or you could go to Sears Hardware, Lowes, Homedepot and look for a Tap & Die set. I own a full set, it comes in handy when you are modding a case and need different sizes of hole and screws threaded out.

Adisharr said:
Rolleyes for that? Not everyone knows everything like yourself.
smilies dont really mean much ... :mad: , see?, but im not really madd, so :D , but wait, am i really that happy? :rolleyes: ... ok fine :p

I would really reccomend against tapping in this situation. I installed a window just a few days ago just like what you're trying to do now. If you try to tap the case and plexi together, you'll end up very frustrated and with a poor product. If you try to tap the aluminum and plexi together, you'll end up with no threads in the aluminum (too thin) and cracked plexi. It's SO much easier to use a nut other other end. You can use regular nuts, stop nuts, which have a nylon insert to ensure that the nut stays on (I like these), or wing nuts, which are handy because you can put them on with your bare hands. I don't know if they make wing/stop nuts, but I do know that they make nylon wing nuts which will stick a little bit better, and will not rattle loose. Cheaper, too, I think.

hrmmm screws are appearing to be too much of hassle..

maybe I could jsut use an adheasive instead? i could get a larger square of plexi then the window and just adheasify it (really a word?) around the edges..

just what adheasive would I use?

phasmatis_nox said:
If you try to tap the aluminum and plexi together, you'll end up with no threads in the aluminum (too thin) and cracked plexi.
That's why you drill the aluminum to full screw diameter (in other words, no threads), and tap the plexi. To avoid cracking the plexi, try turning the chuck manually or at very low RPM (60-300 RPM). Use WD40 or one of the more proper lubricants like Formula 409 or Fantasik. Even difficult taps like this one (http://www.vikash.info/audio/link_images/24-07-04-01.jpg) can be attempted if a very careful technique is used.

xonik said:
That's why you drill the aluminum to full screw diameter (in other words, no threads), and tap the plexi. To avoid cracking the plexi, try turning the chuck manually or at very low RPM (60-300 RPM). Use WD40 or one of the more proper lubricants like Formula 409 or Fantasik. Even difficult taps like this one (http://www.vikash.info/audio/link_images/24-07-04-01.jpg) can be attempted if a very careful technique is used.

It's more effort than it's worth, IMO... stop nuts are like $0.29 for 1/4-20, which is probably even bigger than what he'll be using. It's so much easier to pop a hole through both and stick a screw in it, and secure with a nut.

BTW, Xonik- what page is that link from? That actually looks like polycarbonate(easier to work with, stronger), but I could be wrong.

Nexxus said:
hrmmm screws are appearing to be too much of hassle..

maybe I could jsut use an adheasive instead? i could get a larger square of plexi then the window and just adheasify it (really a word?) around the edges..

just what adheasive would I use?
____

Just wanted to add in a little here, to make it as foolproof as possible...

When you are going to create a thread, the size of the drill bit is going to be one size smaller than the tap. Quick examples:

7/64" drill bit >> 1/8" tap
1/8" drill bit >> 5/32" tap
5/32" drill bit >> #5 tap
#5 drill bit >> 1/4" tap

You get the picture. I don't know much about tapping plexi, but i know when you are tapping something fragile, like gelcoat, you want to kind of countersink the surface first with a phillips screw tip, so you don't chip the surface when tapping, or when applying screws. And like xonik and a couple others said... WD-40 is a good idea, though i don't know that you would have to worry about it with such thin metal.

One more thing, I saw someone suggested thru-bolting the plexi... probably a good idea, but forget about using Nyloc nuts.... find some bind post nuts. Very low profile, should be good for what you're doing. Get some 1/8" bolts, longer than you need, and use a vice grip or channel lock to "break off the excess after you've tightened the bolts down. Just a suggestion. Good luck!

EDIT: A taper and a tap are two different things. I use them every day. In his case, he needs a tap. Judging by my own thumbscrews, probably 1/8"

Nexxus said:
You could use 5 minute epoxy- it's a two part mix that comes in a syringe- you squeeze some out onto something you don't want to keep(junkmail, etc), mix it together with something else you don't want to keep (q-tip, drinking straw), and spread it on whatever you want to stick together. Work fast, as it cures quickly. Try not to get any on yourself.

its because he corrected everyone else and was wrong. edit:

coulda sworn it said "its a taper" not "isnt"

Adisharr said:
Rolleyes for that? Not everyone knows everything like yourself.

Back