how do i compute the true speed of a advertised high speed connection?

chronic9

Supreme [H]ardness
my RR line is getting slow on me and they "cant" fix it and dont offer any faster plans. So i am looking to switch for something faster.

I am looking at Verizon business DSL since it seems to be pretty fast and the cost difference is small. so here is the advertised rate - Up to 3M/768K do i have to devide this number by 8 to get the real speed?

i also searched up covad and some other companies and all of their speeds are 1500/400, i remember someone telling me that that is a kilobits per second? and needs to be devided 8 to get kilobytes?

so what the deal?

Those numbers are given in bits, not bytes. There are 8 bits to a byte, and most measurements you see (as in web downloads) are given in bytes. so 3megabits is (3/8) megabytes (*1024 = 384kilobytes). With TCP/IP overhead its a little less than that usually for real world speed. I have yet to see end user DSL/Cable advertised as anything but bits.

ya i used DSL reports to find covad and such. So is verizon business DSL in bits too? its only 60 bucks a month and i pay 45 for my shity RR line.

chronic9 said:
ya i used DSL reports to find covad and such. So is verizon business DSL in bits too? its only 60 bucks a month and i pay 45 for my shity RR line.
look at speakeasy, their broadband is very nice. I've been a happy speakeasy customer for 3 months.

Back