HOW DO I amplify wireless signal? Recommendations on 3rd party antenna?

So im getting pretty weak signal on the other side of the building but the distance is about 150 feet max going through 1 wall. The computer on that side of the building is getting 30% connection. while its still able to browse the web its not browsing all that quick.

so are there any good antenna that actually works?

google netstumbler, download it on the client machine, see what your actual signal strength is in dB.

-74 or better works just fine with most hardware.

What type of AP? For a quick fix, you can get 7dBi or 9dBi antennas that replace your factory antennas on the AP and the client.

For the record, my system shows about 25% signal, and I get full 54mb connection unless the microwave is on.

0ldman said:
google netstumbler, download it on the client machine, see what your actual signal strength is in dB.

-74 or better works just fine with most hardware.

What type of AP? For a quick fix, you can get 7dBi or 9dBi antennas that replace your factory antennas on the AP and the client.

For the record, my system shows about 25% signal, and I get full 54mb connection unless the microwave is on.

how strange. okay i will try an antenna. anyone should work roughly the same?

What kind of AP?
What kind of client?

Need more info to recommend the correct antennas.

Go to your local CompUSSR (or compussr.com) and buy some of their brand 9dB antennas - I put them on my Linksys WRT54G router/AP and got 'excellent' signal 45' away through 6 sheetrock walls with a chimney in the middle. Prior to them I was lucky to get poor to good, instead of 54mb I would be hitting around 11/22mb.

They are like $35 - try it, worse case it still sucks, you bring it back, get your vodka credits and use them to buy a different solution.

Back