How do game server admin tools work?

tgabe213

2[H]4U
I posted in the Programming forum, but I think I'll get more in here.

For example, I'm thinking of games such as Call of Duty 4 and 5. How do the admin tools like ModernRcon and such interact with the server? They only require a server IP, username, and password.

Does the game server have an API that's used to connect to? If so, why I have I not been able to find one that's been published?

Call of Duty Black Ops will be coming out shortly, and I'd like the develop a web based tool for admin purposes.

Thanks!

why web based? you can just connect to your server and run any command you want. or write a script hat executes batch commands in the console.

why web based? you can just connect to your server and run any command you want. or write a script hat executes batch commands in the console.

Ok, ignore the web based part. How do you connect to the server remotely?

In the simplest way to put it, certain variables pertaining to the server.exe can be modified and the person who may change those variables will have the server admin password. Users (or the game server provider (GSP)) may implement scripts which grant different levels of access to assist with the maintenance of the server.

The high profile popular games usually already have teams dedicated to creating these kinds of interfaces/addons/plugins so that you don't need to do anything other than plug and play.

How do you connect to the server remotely?
Yes, an IP/username/password (or in many cases you don't even need the username) is what you provide - however it may not be as simple as you think. For some games, both the client and the server will talk to the developers primary server and generate certificates of authentication (and other types of security measures) and communication with the server will only be possible if these certificates are accurate. Your 'web based interface' won't be able to generate these certificates.
In some cases the developer will provide the GSP with more advanced tools (which also have their own security/certificate measures) which are not publicly available - and features may be possible through that interface which are not via the client.

It varies from game to game - usually the developer will have a blog/wiki of some sort with instructions for third party developers, as to what exactly is available to them and what can/cannot be done.

I understand what you're saying, but when it comes to say, COD4, how to the RCON tools 'log in' to the game server to run it's commands? This is a game that I know it's possible. I'm pretty sure these are 3rd parties that aren't associated with the developer.

Back