How do connect multiple wireless Access Points (same ID and channel?)

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
How do I connect like 2 or 3 access points to a network?

I wanted to try this with probably three Linksys WAP54G access points in an area that's close enough where there would be overlap of the signals.

I definitely want the same SSID, but do I keep all three on the same channel or do I change the channel of each one?

Thanks!

You want different channels ie ^^^ 1,6,11 are the only non-overlapping 802.11b/g channels. Having APs overlap channels is bad (interference).

The wireless client will be able to hop from one channel to the next as long as the rest of the configuration is the same. Are you going to have each AP wired, or are you thinking of a WDS system (which would change my suggestion).

Keep in mind that using the router as a WDS node cuts its available bandwidth in half. You'll get better results if you can run a cable to each AP.

OP, you haven't mentioned where this is going to be deployed. If it's somewhere where you can't run wires to each AP, then yes WDS is a good solution, however if you're going to be running a lot of users, and want maximum performance from each WAP, then just stick with keeping them all wired to a central switch.

Back