How did you feel about Nokia's announcement?

FerraraZ

Gawd
Today Nokia unveiled their Window Phones which arguably was to either make or break the company as it started to fall to the likes of Android manufacturers and Apple's iPhone. Engadget had my favorite hands on videos with the devices

Nokia 710
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/nokia-lumia-710-hands-on-video/

Nokia 800
http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/26/nokia-lumia-800-hands-on/

I am an Android and iPhone user myself (had every iPhone and around 3-4 Android devices) and even I must say that these phones are incredibly sleek. One thing I've always heard about Nokia devices is that the software was never the best but the hardware was rarely matched. To me its good to see them take a pretty good mobile platform thanks to Mango, and apply their touch to it.

It has me now seriously reconsidering my next phone purchase of iPhone 4S or Galaxy Nexus, do you guys feel the same way? The only con I can draw upon it, is that it does not record 1080p video.

I agree with the hardware quality...I dislike the screen size. I wonder if they still have a 4"+ model to announce yet.

I'm in the market for a phone WP7 NOW. I will not be waiting until any time in 2012 for a US launch. I'm sure they will be very successful with these phones in Europe. That said, if they launched now, I wouldn't consider them because of their screen size.

Now I just wait for release dates to be announced for the Titan and Focus S, and the ability to see them hands on in an AT&T store.

2012 is too late!

Hopefully, when it does hit stateside, there will be a front panel camera.

Supposedly Nokia is in talks with Sprint to be among one of the first Sprint LTE phones. No surprises there.

Physically nice looking phone. I love the simple shape, slight curve, but otherwise flat. No ugly humps on the back like a lot of Android phones have. Just very elegant.

The iPhone has stayed small and I think this is probably staying small because the majority of regular people don't want giant phones. So this size and it's pretty looks will probably help this phone do really well.

No front camera just seems really weird though. What the heck? No NFC or micro SD is less weird and I guess the regular folks won't care about that.

Definitely not a phone that would get me to switch from Android though, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the target audience for this phone anyway. :)

Pretty underwhelming and definitely not the phone that will lure me to Mango, though I'm definitely open to being lured.

C'mon, someone give us a kick ass Windows phone!!

What about the Titan or Focus S?

Speaking of, I'm getting really impatient to find out release dates.

nokia is a dead man walking. WP7 aren't the type of devices people stand in line for.

I agree. I think this move was one of the worst Nokia could have made. They really needed to concentrate on getting good Android phones out there if they want to survive.

If they would have just stuck WinPhone on the N9 this could have been a win but they decided to gimp instead IMO.

Nokia still makes cell phones? None of the carriers around here have a single one. Are they GSM only now?

Will probably be getting a focus s whenever that comes out. Not waiting till 2012 or spending a shitload of money to import a 800. Looks nice though.

WP7 is losing the battle again. Its awesome software, but late with features, late with hardware, and no market presence. Where are the cheap WP7 phones and the awesome ads that show people what an easy to use OS it is? Why not show how it makes both iOS and Android look primitive with the way it integrates all your contacts, messaging and email? Not a single person who's looking for a new phone is aware of these features.

Are they counting on the Nokia name and hardware build quality to sell phones? The trouble is most people have no idea what Nokia is since they make no smartphones (till now).

WP7 is losing the battle again. Its awesome software, but late with features, late with hardware, and no market presence. Where are the cheap WP7 phones and the awesome ads that show people what an easy to use OS it is? Why not show how it makes both iOS and Android look primitive with the way it integrates all your contacts, messaging and email? Not a single person who's looking for a new phone is aware of these features.

Are they counting on the Nokia name and hardware build quality to sell phones? The trouble is most people have no idea what Nokia is since they make no smartphones (till now).

After making that ridiculous comment, I disregarded everything else you said previous to that!

The design looks nice but that huge bezel is way to much, I'd rather have a minimalistic design the focuses on more screen space. I guess that's why the Galaxy Note is the most appealing to me right now :D

I will buy 710, nokias are awesome and most of phones I had were nokia(never owned iPhone or android phone)

I like the look of this phone, but its not drawing me in to buy it. I guess I should mention that I don't really care what my phone looks like I guess.

Meh. I think they're on the right path, but they need to step up the game. The clock's ticking, and I ain't buying 2 year old hardware for that price. I have to say these phones look damn nice, but I want an actual upgrade. My current phone actually has hardware that is quite similar, so the thought of buying on of those feels kind of weird. I said it before: Microsoft needs to push Chassis 3, or allow current-gen hardware in the form-factor that is already available. Yeah, yeah, Windows Phone is the smoothest experience so far... I know. But: I wanna rock some XNA on these pieces :)

Also: Dear Microsoft, would you PLEASE fix Bing for Europe? Or possibly allow for Google search and Maps on Windows Phone? Bing makes me sad here. I search for some MSDN topic and all I find is drugs. What the fuck?

Didnt see anything that would make me consider their phones nor the OS yet, still.

OS in its infancy, still needs time to grow, screen sizes to small, no FFC? What about NFC and SD? All of that left me going 'meh'. The only thing I liked was the actual design of their phones.

But until I start buying phones as fashion accessories for my outfits, thats not going to be enough to make me drop money for a phone and sign a 2yr contract. Not even close. They have a long long way to go.

Honestly, I was very underwhelmed by the entire thing. No US launch until next year and more importantly no mention of the Ace which is the phone I was really interested in. Until Nokia gets out a phone with a >4" screen, they can count me out. Their hardware is sexy as hell, but at the end of the day 3.7" just isn't going to cut it for a lot of people.

Lumia 800 will of course look good, it's essentially WP7 Mango stuffed into the shell of a Nokia N9 anyway. I'd still take the N9's Meego OS anytime over Lumia 800 though if I were forced to choose between the two of them. Had the N9 to play for the whole weekend from a tech blogger... the claims that Stephen Elop is a trojan horse to destroy Nokia certainly isn't baseless to me after trying it out: software was miles better than WP7 IMO despite lacking the final polish.

And they'll make up for better looking hardware by pricing themselves way higher in the US than competing WP7 device makers too, by the looks of it.

I dont get this infancy thing, it is completely mature now with Mango.... as a former android and blackberry owner, I still think windows OS amazing. I agree with the screen criticism of the nokia phones, but imho there is absolutely nothing wrong with the OS.

Back