How did this happen?

In my experience the heat from your loop can cause this over time if your rads are letting the water stay pretty warm. If your tubing feels warm to the touch when you rig has been under load for a while it's probably the cause.

I'm not sure what kind of tubing you are using but the stuff from home depot seems more prone to this than the actual made for water cooling stuff. You could try some anti-kink coils. They are pretty easy to install and should help you tubing keep its proper shape.

Regular tubing tends to shrink over time.. even if you are only using it for fish tank filters, etc.

Regular tubing is also very prone to kinking.

The tubing is actually Primochill Advanced LRT. Tubing size is 7/16 x 5/8.

Yeah the water is warm to the touch.

There is no way that 2 480's with gentle typhoons cant cool all that stuff in your rig. You got major problems if the loop is too hot.

That honestly looks like you tightened the fuck outta that compression fitting causing the tubing to twist.

There is no way that 2 480's with gentle typhoons cant cool all that stuff in your rig. You got major problems if the loop is too hot.

That honestly looks like you tightened the fuck outta that compression fitting causing the tubing to twist.

The tubing was perfectly fine when I put it on.

The loop is too hot. I do occasionally have it mining but just overnight.

I added a new AC for the room to cool it down. The heat is really high and will warp the tubing as it shows.

This is an example of what happens with watercooling and mining. Also, so you know all the tubes are warped and shrunk for some reason. When I get my new tubing, I'll take pics of the old tubing.

Put a piece of that tubing in boiling hot water for a few minutes, i can guarantee it wont do anything like that. The water in your loop would basically have to be boiling hot to even get near the temp you would need to melt the tubing.

Hell, I had a pump melt while my computer was on, cpu/gpu temps shot close to 100 before the computer shutdown, tubing still looked perfect. Swapped pump, back in business.

Then it's possible that the tube kinked causing the rest of the computer to overheat and distort the tubes.

It's really odd this happened then. Taking extra precautions. I'm going to change the tubing, use some 45's to ensure the turns aren't that sharp and using some anti-kink.

Heat + strong pump is my bet of the cause.

Also over time the tubes start to dissolves into the water, this happens with nearly all tubes except silicone.

Heat + strong pump is my bet of the cause.

Also over time the tubes start to dissolves into the water, this happens with nearly all tubes except silicone.

I can understand heat but a strong pump contributes to the cause?

I just got an AC to cool the room. It should work to deal with the heat.

This system was built 3 months ago so it's definitely not a long time.

Last edited:
I can understand heat but a strong pump contributes to the cause?

I just got an AC to cool the room. It should work to deal with the heat.

This system was built 3 months ago so it's definitely not a long time.

The pumps basicly suck on the pipe, if they are strong enough and the pipe walls are weak enough then the pipe will collapse.

3 months is a pretty short time though and 2.3mm wall thickness shouldn't collapse so easily.

I'm using dual d5 pumps so it's very possible. I'm getting my parts today to replace and fix the issue. Going to put anti-kink on all the tubes. Would anti-kink help with the tube collapsing?

This.

And when the rig came up to operating temp it allowed the twisted hose to flex from the heat. I've done it before & it can be a pain, with some hoses, to get straightened out.

Where is your pump inlet located in your loop? It seems like pressure from the pump if the inlet is right after your GPU's. Do you have a reservoir installed as well?

This.

And when the rig came up to operating temp it allowed the twisted hose to flex from the heat. I've done it before & it can be a pain, with some hoses, to get straightened out.

I'll chime in with a third agreement. You had a twist there whether you want to admit it or not, and once the tubing warmed up it collapsed. It has NOTHING to do with just heat alone. Also, clean that damn case out. That build is only 3 months old with that kinda of dust buildup?!?!:eek::eek:..You certainly aren't poor based on the specs of your rig, so buy some filters if you don't have some already!!!!

I have a loop with 2 480 radiators and a single Koolance PMP-500. My (Tygon) return hose to the reservoir is a short angled tube run from the last CPU block and it nearly always partially collapses like in the picture.

After the hose partially collapses my measured water temperature is typically 1-2 degrees above ambient and my exhaust air temperature is within about 1 degree of water temperature. I don't think the hose shape distortion is particularly related to temperature and I don't think you should be worried about it unless it collapses to the point where it is causing the pump to cavitate or cooling system to fail to perform.

If your system overheated it more than likely had nothing to do with that tube as it's probably nowhere near as restrictive as that stack of GPU blocks it's going into, and everything to do with inadequate cooling of the room. Systems with that much radiator surface area just don't heat their water more than 5-10 degrees above ambient if the pump and fans are spinning and water is moving, after that any overheating is inadequate heat rejection from ambient air.

Last edited:
Back