How did MaximumPC get two power supplies to work?

TechJeff

Limp Gawd
For those that love the ultimate PC build, the September issue of MaximumPC has their "Dream Machine" 2010 build. In it I think I have most things figured out, but they left out details on how they paired their Corsair 1200 AX with the Termaltake 450 so they powered the computer working together.

I have no idea how to get 2 power supplies like this mated and wondered if anyone out there knew how they did this and how I can if needed?

Thanks.

Or if you're really good at soldering and don't like the look of having 2 24-pins right there, you could run a cable back to the second PSU to start it.

$9.95+shipping for something that you could make out of a piece of wire you find on the sidewalk... that IS Genius! (for their profit margins)

edit-
ive always wondered what type of voltage abnormalities you would get when combining two different incoming power sources. that adapter would serve to couple the negative/ground of the two power supplies, but i wonder what kind of voltage or current you would see across that single black bridge wire. or what type of loop or feedback you would see when the +12v or +5/3v legs converge somewhere in the motherboard.

it would be even worse if you happened to plug one power supply into one circuit in your house, and the other into a separate circuit. if you had two identical power supplies it wouldnt matter nearly as much as if you had a real nice expensive one and a $15 cheapo trying to run in one system. maybe this will be my next experiment.

Last edited:
Back