How Deep a Toilet Can You Drop Your Phone Into?

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Admit it. The first time you dropped your phone into the toilet, you were hoping, seriously hoping, somewhere in the back of your mind, that it would never turn on again. Maybe Critical Bill would not be bothered, but most of us might have considered leaving it there. But alas, if your phone has an IP rating, you will likely find yourself fishing it out if to only protect your private data. GreenBot has an article that explains to us what those pesky IP ratings actually mean. But will you ever press it against your face again?

Well…maybe not. The Samsung Galaxy S7 has an IP68 rating—the highest rating a consumer device can get on the IP scale—but that still doesn’t mean you should take it surfing or white-water rafting.

https://www.phonesoap.com/product/phonesoap-charger

sandopen2_582f67cb002fe_1270xauto-jpg-keep-ratio.jpeg

My wife has dropped her phone in the toilet 2 times now and still works fine. Just a iPhone 6plus in an outer box. I just took it out fast , powered it down and dried the crap out of it before using it again..

My wife has dropped her phone in the toilet 2 times now and still works fine. Just a iPhone 6plus in an outer box. I just took it out fast , powered it down and dried the crap out of it before using it again..
I dropped a iPod ages ago in the toilet. Never worked again. It was tne one time I brought a extended warranty and it paid off. Got my money back. It was my first and last Apple product.

Bring it to the repair guy, tell him it's not working and why and let him decide if he wants to check it out or order you a replacement. But only if its sold as waterproof.

i've never dropped my phone in the toilet because i use 2 hands to piss.

if i did.... i'm not sure how i would react.

probably save it but not like a porta-john or anything.

it would be a total loss.

Knocking on wood here, but its really unusual for me to drop my phone. I don't have little girl hands, but for the people that do, they should really stick to smaller sized phones. I'm convinced that's why phones get dropped more than any other reason, the phones have gotten too big for them.

Edit: Also I don't take my phone out of my pocket, or even with me at all, when I'm taking a 1 or 2. I don't understand why you would. There's really no need to selfie that shit.

Sadly, the phone you pull out of the toilet is probably still more sanitary than most of our keyboards.

Some people apparently spend a lot more of their time on the throne than I do. I've never even come close to dropping my phone in the toilet. I'm there to take a shit and move on with my life. Fiddling with my phone is only going to unnecessarily prolong that.

guilty... luckily it was my toilet and not the one at work or the bar.

Nice explanation of the IP rating. I really took it as water proof, now I feel lucky I've had no problems so far. S7 Edge here. Never dropped it in the toilet, but took it in a lake for 2 weeks vacation last year. Sometimes in the lake for 4-6 hours. It was in my shorts pocket with a velcro lid, it was snug so it didn't come out. Treading water and moving around never seemed to bother it.

Also used it in the in-laws pool a lot. No problems there either. This was just messing around with the kids, its in a case but just a Spigen Tough Armor case. Nothing on the actual display.

Only once have I lost a phone to the toilet. It was mid 2000's and I had a work Blackberry. I was actually at work, and I had just sat down, popped the thing out of it's holster to play a little poker while IBM. My phone went off in a ringing and vibration frenzy just as it was coming out of the holster and made a perfect arc in the air, between my legs and SPLOOSH. I was just about to release the Krakken so to speak, so the bowl wasn't fowled yet.... but there it was at the bottom of the work community toilet ringing and vibrating under water. I did fish it out, and then did my business. Back at my desk I took it apart and used many alcohol wipes to "clean" it. But it was done... the keyboard started getting crazy and it never worked right again.

Saddest part of the story is I had to explain to my boss why I needed a new phone. When I did, he laughed his ass off and said he did the same thing, except his bowl wasn't empty. EWWW.

edit - even if it had worked again no way was I putting that thing next to my face. Nope. NOPE. FOREVER UNCLEAN

I don't want to know what you folks are snapping pics of that close to the toilet.

I have never dropped any phone in any form of water. Ever. Never even broken one. And I am old and clumsy.

I don't want to know what you folks are snapping pics of that close to the toilet.

I have never dropped any phone in any form of water. Ever. Never even broken one. And I am old and clumsy.

I am at a loss as well for how big of a problem dropping your phone into the toilet is. Why the hell are people using their phone on the toilet?

Back