• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

How could Nvidia screw me like this?

Prizef1ghter

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 10, 2004
Messages
105
Yeah, I know I'm late with this rant, but it just now effected me. Why in the world would they make drivers that break my DVD playback? All I do with my DVD-ROM drive is watch movies on my PC and read normal CD's 1/4 of the time. Nothing works anymore. It accuses me of trying to copy stuff. PowerDVD is a great program and the money I paid for it is down the toilet now. Oh I did my homework a little bit and yes I know I can go back to some old ass Nvidia drivers, or download ANOTHER program that I have to PAY for to break the protection, but why should I? This can't be right under 'fair use' legislation. Whats the point of having a DVD-ROM drive if this is the case?

I upgraded my video drivers for a reason, I bought powerDVD for a reason, I bought Kill Bill Vol 1 for a reason. To watch on my pc. I shouldn't have to choose between the latest games playing correctly or watching a movie. I shouldn't have to pay DVDIdle 50 bucks.

I could see if I had downloaded a ripped DVD from the net, went to play the file, and got zapped by Macrovision. I'd just chuckle and say 'touche'. So what choice do I have now? I downloaded a freeware program called VLC Media Player which will play the movie, but it does so like a video clip instead of a DVD. No menus or anything.

Lastly, I would have thought that Nvidia would be one of the last companies to bow to 'The Man'. I don't know if ATI is the same, but they probably are.

Am I just screwed, or does anyone have any REAL options that I'm not aware of? I don't want to lose what I already have and I don't want to throw money at the problem.
 
mabe media player classic will help you out, it playes dvds for me, but i dont have an nvidia card so i cant test it
 
It has nothing to do with a busted dvd player or bad files or whatever. The issue is well explained. It's just stoopid and unfair. I can get my 15 minutes of playback using idle and for that period of time, its fine.

Software DVD players are checking for Macrovision compliancy in some cases and Macrovision checks the compliancy of your video card to see if it has a TV-out enabled. It doesn't really matter if your card has TV out hardware or not because Nvidia drivers somehow say that you do. Thats why some suggest scaling to a 2002 version of Nvidia drivers. I don't want and shouldn't have to do that. The best option I've seen so far to get around this issue costs over half a c-note. Again, unfair.
 
Reinstall Power DVD and it should fix your problem. I've had problems before where other DVD software corrupts PowerDVD.
 
I've had the same problem with PowerDVD and several different Nvidia drivers with my Vision Tek GF3. The last drivers that I have installed (52.16) don't have the TV-out enabled problem. What drivers are you using so I can avoid them also?
 
I think it's the I-D-10-T error

i have no problems running DVD's on my machine and i have a 5900XTOC with the latest drivers
 
Schadenfroh said:
If you want to get rid of the drivers that you think caused your DVD playback to not work, try Driver Cleaner

Heed those words - before you upgrade your drivers you need to clean off the exisiting ones. Yah, it's an extra step, but since I've been using driver cleaner, the odd little upgrade issues have not come back.

Clean, reinstall drivers, then reinstall your PowerDVD - the issue is neither with the nVidia drivers nor the DVD software, it's in how Windows deals with the dll's they both use ( crap I deal with every day... weeeeee ).

Peace,
tim
 
You have a pretty old video card, just use old drivers. 40.72 will let you watch movies on GF2/GF3. www.guru3d.com

tvtool might also let you play back with newer drivers.

here's the problem:
But Macrovision did reply to his query. In a support note, the company said: "It turns out that nVidia had to change their drivers because of an error in the Windows Media player revision 8.1. If you use a different DVD player it should be OK. The issue would not exist on your computer if it had Macrovision's technology but apparently your graphics board has a non-Macrovision capable digital video encoder device."
 
Wonderful. I got it to work with a free 3rd party program. No biggee. I googled that suggestion about the 1-d-10-t problem and didn't find anything, so thanks for the suggestion anyways.
 
Prizef1ghter said:
Wonderful. I googled that suggestion about the 1-d-10-t problem and didn't find anything, so thanks for the suggestion anyways.


owned
 
Macrovision and non-standard copyprotection sucks...

But its not just limited to Nvidia, ATi had a few issues with some titles, I think it was Snow White and the 7 dwarves that just refused to play on the ATi DVD decoder. ATi does seem to have nailed down most of the offenders, but I still hate it when the "Interactual" autoruns on some DVD's instead of the main popup screen for the movie.

Some people are reporting the remastered Indiana Jones is not working with their NVidia cards and certain dvd decoders either.
 
Prizef1ghter said:
Wonderful. I got it to work with a free 3rd party program. No biggee. I googled that suggestion about the 1-d-10-t problem and didn't find anything, so thanks for the suggestion anyways.

1-d-10-t = idiot

just so you don't fall for it again.
 
creedAMD said:
1-d-10-t = idiot

just so you don't fall for it again.

I fell for it the first and last time in '89 when I was in the Air Force. Just playing along because I'm a good sport like that. :D
 
Yep nvidia drivers suck for their older cards. I have a ti4200 and I was using the 40.72 for a long time, but when I bought ut2k4 it wouldn't work with them for some reason. Upgraded to new drivers and now i get wierd purple discolorations while i'm watching any videos. This includes divx, wmvs, etc. I haven't noticed it on dvds per se, but I mainly use to my pc to watch shows I missed on tv (too cheap to buy a tivo). Its wierd though because if I open windows media player within IE it usually doesn't have the problem, but outside of IE it almost always does. Because of this I switched all video watching to my laptop and I am waiting for my 6800gt so I can return to watching stuff on my desktop.
 
I had the same problem with the GeForce3 I use on my office computer... it seriously made me angry until I discovered Media Player Classic, since then I've had no problems because it doesn't check for macrovision. (Or you can decrypt it to your HD with DVDecrypter or a similar program)

Another option is to pick up modified drivers for the card.... I think that the Omega drivers step around macrovision.

Anyway it really is quite a pain. I could understand if drivers released three or four years after the card became obsolete did this, but the first drivers with stricter macrovision seem to have come out far more rapidly than that. Just one of the things that made me forgive ATi for their benchmark cooking scandal...
 
Thatonen00b said:
I would say format and if it persists, I dont know what to tell you.
You can say enjoy your dvds, he fixed it (refer to first page, its worth reading) :p
 
get ati... better card, trustable drivers.... alll around good... :D
the xt's i mean, the new pro's are crap... :D
 
Back
Top