How could everyone forget it's Dreamcast's 10th Anniversary today?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Dreamcast was released November 27th, 1998 in Japan, it's ten years today, how could [H] forget that? Shame on you:p

dreamcast.jpg

Sure it's not as exciting as 9.9.99, that ten year anniversary will be next September but I say the original first release date of a platform is more significant, not the U.S. / NA release.

Does anyone still play Dreamcast? I do. This was the system that started last-gen!

http://kotaku.com/5099517/the-dreamcast-turns-ten-today

The Dreamcast Turns Ten Today
By Michael McWhertor, 7:00 PM on Wed Nov 26 2008, 4,388 views

Sega's last stab at console dominance is now ten years old. The Dreamcast was launched on November 27, 1998 in Japan, back when global hardware launches were almost unheard of. It wasn't exactly a success.

The Japanese version of the Sega Dreamcast launched with a rather paltry four forgettable games: Godzilla Generations, Virtua Fighter 3tb, PenPen TRiIceLon and July. Sonic Adventure, originally planned to hit at launch, was delayed. Other titles that came shortly after, like Incoming and Seventh Cross, didn't help matters.

Given the line-up, the Japanese launch was somewhat of a dud, far from the early success of its North American counterpart which hit almost a year later on September 9, 1999. When Sony announced the PlayStation 2, less than six months after the Japanese Dreamcast launch, it ended the console war — at least in terms of perception — before it had a chance to begin.

The Dreamcast still managed to deliver some of the best software of the generation, with titles like Power Stone, Soul Calibur, Jet Grind Radio, Phantasy Star Online, Typing of the Dead and Samba de Amigo still fondly remembered.

My first hands on time with the Dreamcast came when I rented an imported console, along with Blue Stinger and The House of the Dead 2, for a Sega filled weekend. Fortunately, those two titles didn't dissuade me from picking up a North American console at the midnight launch.

Please feel free to share your fondest Dreamcast memories and pour out a bit of your virtual forty for this enduring casualty of the console war.

Eh I enjoyed mine but not enough to care about an anniversary. Sega could still be a contender easily if it wasent for the Sega CD, 32X, Nomad, Sega VR, Saturn, etc.

They screwed up by adding the second RISC chip right before putting the console into production. They should have just started from scratch when they heard the PS1 was going to be focusing on 3D performance.

Sega Dreamcast = Best Console EVER. I loved most of the games on the system as well as Shenmue (Best game ever made, IMO). Too bad they didnt continue making Shenmue on the Dreamcast :(.

...maybe we all forgot because it was the Japanese release date.

Bug me about this again on September 9th, 2009.

loved the story of that game shenmue. I just wish they finish it since ryo didn't kill the bad guy who killed his father.

i have 3 of them practically brand new. one regular stock USA version. one modded one i bought from hong kong came with 50 games and boot up disk, and a brand new R7, the black one from japan. and i also have a master system, genesis, saturn and game gear all in boxes lilke new with many games.

i have 3 of them practically brand new. one regular stock USA version. one modded one i bought from hong kong came with 50 games and boot up disk, and a brand new R7, the black one from japan. and i also have a master system, genesis, saturn and game gear all in boxes lilke new with many games.

Dreamcast didn't need to be modded, that was why it failed down the stretch.

@Betauser - I totally agree with you, there were supposed to be quite a few chapters in the Shenmue story but we only got a fraction of the entire story line... argh!

Good memories. Legacy of Kain, Quake 3, Shadowman, Sword of the Berserk to name a few.

Who can deny the greatness that was SegaNet.
Daytona USA online, NFL 2K, Quake 3.

The original Soul Caliber, Dead or Alive 2.....
I only have good memories.
Stupid Sony marketing. The Dreamcast was the better system. PS2 was hyped up beyond belief. All for DVD playback. Such crap. I play games, not watch movies.

RIP Dreamcast.

Who can deny the greatness that was SegaNet.
Daytona USA online, NFL 2K, Quake 3.

The original Soul Caliber, Dead or Alive 2.....
I only have good memories.
Stupid Sony marketing. The Dreamcast was the better system. PS2 was hyped up beyond belief. All for DVD playback. Such crap. I play games, not watch movies.

RIP Dreamcast.

Yeah definitely... I prefer my dreamcast over my ps2 anyday.

Dreamcast was an awesome system, I dont play it anymore tho so i gave it away.

The games i loved to play on there where:

Sonic Adventure 1 and 2
Powerstone
Jet grind Radio
Crazy Taxi

Great system, loved playing all the online games. Way ahead of its time. Silly Xboxers think they were the first. :p

i frickin lurved my dreamcast so much...never tried shenmue though everybody and their uncle swears by it. I remember logging in and playing quake 3; the controls were a disaster though..remember using the buttons for wasd?

Dreamcast is epic.

For QUAKE3ARENA
Dreamcast players, PC players, Linux players, and Macintosh players, could
ALL PLAY IN THE SAME SERVER

But today.....

^ Yep, had the GD-rom before DVD was a cool format too, online play, online play with pc/dc/mac users, windows based....what an awesome little machine. Rip to the last "great" console.

Haha you must know that you only classify as an uber-nerd if you celebrate a video game system's 10th anniversary. ;]

Is there going to be a candle light dinner and lots of sex toO? I hope so!

I still regard Soul Calibur as the best entry in the series.

I've also got a backlog of Dreamcast games that still need to be played. As such, the DC will always have a place beside my other game consoles.

Dreamcast is still my favorite system, but then again it is the last console I ever bought. My friends used to play NFL 2k and the import game All Japan Pro Wrestling constantly. I loved the bone breaking maneuvers in that game and was up there with the old N64 AKI/THQ wrestling games.

Dreamcast is still my favorite system, but then again it is the last console I ever bought. My friends used to play NFL 2k and the import game All Japan Pro Wrestling constantly. I loved the bone breaking maneuvers in that game and was up there with the old N64 AKI/THQ wrestling games.

NFL2K, NHL2K, and NBA2K are still imo some of the best sports games ever made.

Sonic Adventure
Shenmue
Blue Stinger
Crazy Taxi
Star Wars Episode 1: Racer
Hydro Thunder
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
Sega GT
SEGA SWIRL!!

Those were all some of the best games I've ever played. The DC was and still is one of my favorite platforms for gaming, period.

Eh I enjoyed mine but not enough to care about an anniversary. Sega could still be a contender easily if it wasent for the Sega CD, 32X, Nomad, Sega VR, Saturn, etc.

They screwed up by adding the second RISC chip right before putting the console into production. They should have just started from scratch when they heard the PS1 was going to be focusing on 3D performance.
The saturn's architecture was fine for Japan. SGI came to SoA to offer them a chipset deal, since nintendo treated its partners poorly, but Mr. Nakayama (not Yuji Naka) rejected SoA's request. The saturn had some serious advantages over both of its competitors.

Sega Dreamcast = Best Console EVER. I loved most of the games on the system as well as Shenmue (Best game ever made, IMO). Too bad they didnt continue making Shenmue on the Dreamcast :(.
Yu Suzuki offered sony and ms an exclusivity deal, but they turned it down. I would've accepted the deal in a heartbeat.

Dreamcast didn't need to be modded, that was why it failed down the stretch.

@Betauser - I totally agree with you, there were supposed to be quite a few chapters in the Shenmue story but we only got a fraction of the entire story line... argh!
See above; eventually Shenmue 3 will get the green light, just not sure when.

Good memories. Legacy of Kain, Quake 3, Shadowman, Sword of the Berserk to name a few.
All of those games were better on a good pc at the time. Except maybe SotB, IDK.

Mine is hooked up too. I don't leave discs in the tray though. I need my VGA box back so I can play in higher resolution.

It just made it progressive scan not a res increase.

Now more OnT (class was about to start earlier)

I loved the dreamcast, and in the U.S. I believe haters o' sega caused the dreamcast to fail, simply by predicting it would fail. The dreamcast was not at fault for its "failure." But at least it eventually won nearly every gamer's heart, although not until after its death.

I'm part of a facebook group called "the dc didn't fail, we failed the DC."

I picked mine up at EB at midknight on 9.9.99, and I remember someone called in asking if they could come by and buy FFVIII, but the manager told them to come by [later] in the morning, since the midknight madness was for the DC only.

The minority is always right. I was in the minority, when most other people were saying how much sega sucked and that the ps2 would be out in 1 year. Now those very same people are the ones ragin' and ravin' about how great it is in forums everywhere, the nets over, ever since shortly after it's death in 2001.

I also originally ignored the 1st ps until the end of month it was released, b/c of sega loyalty, and b/c of the fact sony didn't have a great legacy in video games like sega did as well as sony imagesoft's lousy games (not all, but most.)

To this day, I like the Saturn a bit better than both of its competitors (if the saturn had the better version of SotN, I would simply say the ps1 sucked), and I liked the dreamcast better than the ps2. It launched w/ great games in 99, and had more great games in Y2K, while I remember the ps2 launched with no good games (imo, except for silent scope, but the dc version was actually a little better), and it was about 1 year after launch that the 1st killer app (i.e., DMC1) appeared on the ps2. I still bought mine in the early spring of 2001 (I was in the 8th grade) since Onimusha was right up my alley (by capcom, and in particular by Mr. Inafune [sic] the genius that created mega man :)

The dreamcast wasn't perfect in terms of hw though. It had better textures than its 3 successors in that generation, or at least as long as mip-mapping/filtering was used. I remember shenmue 2 (I bought the euro import w/ a dcx boot disc and headhunter from ncsx in early 2002) had a lot of texture shimmering, so that was already kind of pushing the DC's limits in a way, b/c it couldn't do complete filtering with all of the other wonderful graphics functions it used. It also had hardware defects (unlike the ultra-reliable 1st model of the saturn), although the ps2 did also. The xbox didn't (a shame microsoft didn't consider making the x360 as reliable as their 1st console, other than the 1st xbox's power cord issue, but that was easily fixed) The gamecube was defect free as far as I know also.
Then the dc had a lousy main controller as well as inconsistent loading times, and not a whole lot of horsepower compared to the ps2, and certainly not the xbox.

here's each system's [of the generation that started w/ the DC] texture quality:
DC (NEC PowerVR 2): 16 bit textures, losslessly compressed, 2k^2 max size, better filtering capabilities than all of it's competitors, although not always used. (i remember hotd2 didn't make good use filtering, and shenmue 2 had some texture aliasing)
PS2 (GS): 8 bit textures, 256^2 max size (?) filtered
GC (GPU by: SGI-->ArtX-->ATI "Flipper" since the system codename was "Dolphin"): very lossily compressed 16 bit textures; only bilinear filtering; although larger/higher res and more colorful than the ps2's super-undetailed textures, the ps2 didn't have the tc artifacts the GC had. PS2 textures=blurry, undetailed, mute-ish of color, but clean/free of artifacts; GC textures: blotchiness artifacts from s3tc, but more detailed and colorful.
XBOX(GPU aka GF 3/4; aka NV2A): 2k x 2k, unoptimized (?) trilinear, but very angle dependent af (neither was used for all games); lossily compressed, 16 or 32 bit, 2k^2 max size.

The dreamcast, i would say has the best texture quality (at least when full filtering is applied, so no texture aliasing) of it's gen, of which it was 1st in. It's a shame the dreamcast didn't do an rgba8int frame buffer, but at least it used 32 bit (i.e. rgba8int) internal rendering precision like 3dfx did (although dc did thru different method not quite as nice as 3dfx's post-filter.)

It's kind of odd how lossless tc isn't used in graphics cards today, but lossless color compression is, whereas the DC was vice versa.

Lossless tc's return was overdue 4 years ago, now not having it is just wholly inadequate and unacceptable. We've been stuck w/ s3tc (in opengl) and s3tc-derived dxt formats (in dx 6.1-10.1) since 1999.

Haha you must know that you only classify as an uber-nerd if you celebrate a video game system's 10th anniversary. ;]

Is there going to be a candle light dinner and lots of sex toO? I hope so!
Dude, it's only 10. Pedophile.

Crazy Taxi is the only game that I've ever played so heavily for so long in one night that it literally made my thumbs bleed. My record in Arcade mode was like $109,000, I was playing for over an hour and a quarter in a single go.

Now more OnT (class was about to start earlier)

I loved the dreamcast, and in the U.S. I believe haters o' sega caused the dreamcast to fail, simply by predicting it would fail. The dreamcast was not at fault for its "failure." But at least it eventually won nearly every gamer's heart, although not until after its death.

I'm part of a facebook group called "the dc didn't fail, we failed the DC."

I picked mine up at EB at midknight on 9.9.99, and I remember someone called in asking if they could come by and buy FFVIII, but the manager told them to come by [later] in the morning, since the midknight madness was for the DC only.

The minority is always right. I was in the minority, when most other people were saying how much sega sucked and that the ps2 would be out in 1 year. Now those very same people are the ones ragin' and ravin' about how great it is in forums everywhere, the nets over, ever since shortly after it's death in 2001.

I also originally ignored the 1st ps until the end of month it was released, b/c of sega loyalty, and b/c of the fact sony didn't have a great legacy in video games like sega did as well as sony imagesoft's lousy games (not all, but most.)

To this day, I like the Saturn a bit better than both of its competitors (if the saturn had the better version of SotN, I would simply say the ps1 sucked), and I liked the dreamcast better than the ps2. It launched w/ great games in 99, and had more great games in Y2K, while I remember the ps2 launched with no good games (imo, except for silent scope, but the dc version was actually a little better), and it was about 1 year after launch that the 1st killer app (i.e., DMC1) appeared on the ps2. I still bought mine in the early spring of 2001 (I was in the 8th grade) since Onimusha was right up my alley (by capcom, and in particular by Mr. Inafune [sic] the genius that created mega man :)

The dreamcast wasn't perfect in terms of hw though. It had better textures than its 3 successors in that generation, or at least as long as mip-mapping/filtering was used. I remember shenmue 2 (I bought the euro import w/ a dcx boot disc and headhunter from ncsx in early 2002) had a lot of texture shimmering, so that was already kind of pushing the DC's limits in a way, b/c it couldn't do complete filtering with all of the other wonderful graphics functions it used. It also had hardware defects (unlike the ultra-reliable 1st model of the saturn), although the ps2 did also. The xbox didn't (a shame microsoft didn't consider making the x360 as reliable as their 1st console, other than the 1st xbox's power cord issue, but that was easily fixed) The gamecube was defect free as far as I know also.
Then the dc had a lousy main controller as well as inconsistent loading times, and not a whole lot of horsepower compared to the ps2, and certainly not the xbox.

here's each system's [of the generation that started w/ the DC] texture quality:
DC (NEC PowerVR 2): 16 bit textures, losslessly compressed, 2k^2 max size, better filtering capabilities than all of it's competitors, although not always used. (i remember hotd2 didn't make good use filtering, and shenmue 2 had some texture aliasing)
PS2 (GS): 8 bit textures, 256^2 max size (?) filtered
GC (GPU by: SGI-->ArtX-->ATI "Flipper" since the system codename was "Dolphin"): very lossily compressed 16 bit textures; only bilinear filtering; although larger/higher res and more colorful than the ps2's super-undetailed textures, the ps2 didn't have the tc artifacts the GC had. PS2 textures=blurry, undetailed, mute-ish of color, but clean/free of artifacts; GC textures: blotchiness artifacts from s3tc, but more detailed and colorful.
XBOX(GPU aka GF 3/4; aka NV2A): 2k x 2k, unoptimized (?) trilinear, but very angle dependent af (neither was used for all games); lossily compressed, 16 or 32 bit, 2k^2 max size.

The dreamcast, i would say has the best texture quality (at least when full filtering is applied, so no texture aliasing) of it's gen, of which it was 1st in. It's a shame the dreamcast didn't do an rgba8int frame buffer, but at least it used 32 bit (i.e. rgba8int) internal rendering precision like 3dfx did (although dc did thru different method not quite as nice as 3dfx's post-filter.)

It's kind of odd how lossless tc isn't used in graphics cards today, but lossless color compression is, whereas the DC was vice versa.

Lossless tc's return was overdue 4 years ago, now not having it is just wholly inadequate and unacceptable. We've been stuck w/ s3tc (in opengl) and s3tc-derived dxt formats (in dx 6.1-10.1) since 1999.

WHAT HE SAID!

Back