How come win 7 takes much longer to boot up on SOME occasions?

Happy Hopping

Supreme [H]ardness
Say normal boot time in 50 sec. approximately on a hard drive. Occasionally, for whatever reason, it takes say 2 min., perhaps even 2.5 min. It happens whenever it feel like it, it doesn't happen often, just once in a blue moon. But what's causing this delay? Any1 else has seen this?

Say normal boot time in 50 sec. approximately on a hard drive. Occasionally, for whatever reason, it takes say 2 min., perhaps even 2.5 min. It happens whenever it feel like it, it doesn't happen often, just once in a blue moon. But what's causing this delay? Any1 else has seen this?

clean your prefetch folder

I am looking at my prefetch folder, there is a lot of shit in there. What does extension db means? As I have a bunch of AgGIUAD_.......db files, can I kill them?

And I'vedeleted the PF files just now

get an ssd and if you already have IDK but yea cleaning start up programs would be a start as well as superfetch clean like happy said.

IDK = I dont know, where have you been living since 1991 :p

anyway have you thought about maybe updates are slowing you down?

I am looking at my prefetch folder, there is a lot of shit in there. What does extension db means? As I have a bunch of AgGIUAD_.......db files, can I kill them?

And I'vedeleted the PF files just now

just clean it out. your next boot will be slow but it will sort out the folder without the old junk that wasn't on your system anymore

Use sleep mode if your hardware supports it. Win 7 does not need to be rebooted every day. Sleep actually works OK for most configs these days.

Installing windows updates on reboot or AV boot scan.

The most likely culprits for very occasional long boot times. Though normally, Win tells you if it is installing updates during a reboot.

I don't actually know how much this'll help, but this is what i do every once in a while.

Run RegEdit

Search "RunOnce" and check the "Run" folder. You don't actually need to bother with "runonce" but it's usually easier to find and always next to "Run".

I usually delete the ones i don't need (adobe updater, preloaders, infrared remote drivers, etc.), and if there's a file i don't recognize, i google it.

I doubt it'll take out the 2minute loading completely, but it's something to try.

gpedit.msc
Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> System
Set 'Verbose vs normal status messages' to Enabled.

If you don't have gpedit.msc, open regedit, navigate to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System", create a new DWORD value named 'verbosestatus' and set the value data to '1.'

If that doesn't give you any indication of what it is, you might have previously improperly shutdown. Usually when that's the case, starting Windows takes far longer.

This is the chicken and the egg: I did have improper shutdown, but that's because win 7 takes forever to boot, and I thought it lock up, so I forcefully shut down, and then re-boot.

However, after I delete all those pre-fetch, the boot up time seems very normal since then. I've to watch this 1 closely

I did block the adobe updater and a few other update from my firewall

I appreciate everyone's help on this matter

IDK = I dont know, where have you been living since 1991 :p

anyway have you thought about maybe updates are slowing you down?

I don't take any win update. If they have a Service Pack, I'll go for it, but not individual update

Go to ''Run'' and type ''msconfig'' look under the start up tab and try disabling all start up programs but not your anti-virus if you have one installed then reboot

Also try Soluto. It's very useful not only for measuring boot time but also for disabling unneeded gunk at startup. It even lets you "delay" programs other than Windows Services (which support "Delayed Start" by default).

I was just wondering the same thing today. I have been tuning my pc off at night for a couple of months and every day the boot up times are all over the place.

Huh? I hope that you are installing critical updates at least manually then.

When I first read that, I almost suggested doing offline virus, and malware scans. Figured I did not want to be the one to open that can of worms.

This log tells all about performance issues with startup and shutdown:
Application and Service Logs->Microsoft->Windows->Diagnostics Performance->Operational

Back