How come no talk on modding 6800nu to 16pipes, if it even has the extra 4?

TimothyB

[H]ard|Gawd
Ever since the x800pro, there have been many threads trying to hard mod/ soft mod it to get the extra four pipes.

But what about the 12pipe 6800nu, what's the story with that card. Does it even have the extra pipes on the board, or is it a totally different design than the 6800gt and ultra, and if it does have the 4 pipes, was it disabled physically on the board or by software.

Anyone have any detail on this? Just curious since it is a $299 card and if there was a slim chance the extra pipes are there, it would be extremely popular.

You could try flashing the bios if your card can handle GT/U speeds. If it doesn't work, flash it back. Someone's gotta be the first to try... :cool:

Cause once you flash the 6800NU, if the flash dont work it gets stuck at 16 pipes no matter the bios and you have a doorstop, similar to an x800pro vivo

I had a PNY 6800nu and ran Far Cry at 400/850. But I've returned that and now waiting for my MSI 6800nu to arrive. It's pretty good deal when you see that it has 14cds, with Myst Uru, XIII, Prince of Persia, plus 14-in-1 games collection that says Splinter Cell, Yager, Joint Operations and such.

So when someone brings up the point of not being able to disable the 16 pipes being a problem, what's bad about that? Is it a warranty thing?

EDIT: Noticed the doorstop comment :). But people with X800pros were able to hard mod to 16pipes without an XT bios needed, so why is that compatible there?

With the MSI you get three full older games, the rest are demos. Unless there are two variations of it selling...

NeonFlak said:
With the MSI you get three full older games, the rest are demos. Unless there are two variations of it selling...

Yeah, I've been trying to figure out if they're demos because no where can I find online where it says that, it just calles it games collection.

14 in 1 Games Collection
1. Praetorians 8. Black Hawk Down
2. YAGER 9. Joint Operations Typhoon Rising
3. Heaven & Hell 10. Comanche 4
4. Divine Divinity 11. American Conquest
5. Etherlords2 12. Commandos 3 Destination Berlin
6. IL-2 Sturmovik 13. Beach Life
7. Splinter Cell 14. Deus EX Invisible War

http://www.msicomputer.com/product/p_spec.asp?model=NX6800-TD128&class=vga

TimothyB said:
But people with X800pros were able to hard mod to 16pipes without an XT bios needed, so why is that compatible there?

as far as i know you need to flash the BIOS on the cards to enable the extra pipes and some cores just can't handle it.

One of the russian sites actually suceeded in modding a 6800NU to 16 pipes (forget which), but it totally screwed up the card and they couldnt get it back to 12 pipes.

I don't plan to mod my card, I was wondering if it was possible or if anyone has tried.

Thanx for the info.

Back