How come most people put 2 monitors side to side, instead of stacking them?

So, basically you took my description of the human eyesights characteristics, singled out the part with the stereoscopic vision and added a new meaning to that as being a basic for a viewport calculation, discarded then everything else including the 40 degrees peripheral from the same scentence, and then post some THX recommandations to show that they select a more narrow FOV in their Home theater setups vs. the stereoscopic characteristics of a human eye?

I did no such thing. The extra peripheral part is extraneous. You indicated the ultra-wide FOV (whether you include the extra peripheral part or not) you in and that it somehow (viewing distance dependent) belonged in this discussion.

Again, nothing added, nothing removed:
Actual maximum of your eyesight is 3:2 (180/120, some argue 200/120). But, that doesn't mean this ratio is the most comfortable one. 140 degrees horizontal makes the max stereovision, while you have 40 degrees extra horizontal for peripherial vision.

How this affects you practically vs. the aspect ratio of the screen, depends on the distance you have to the screen (since its angle dependent).

You discus no viewing angle less than 140 degrees. You indicate this has some importance based on viewing distance. It is fairly clear.

You really like to harp on me for using the THX as a more ergonomic FOV, but several times I also mentioned an ergo study showing that people move larger monitors back to a similar FOV, which you keep ignoring.

Do you actually disagree, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing. Do you really think 140 degrees is a more ergonomic working FOV than 40 degrees??

Its 2.41 now, so I need to go to bed, but here's the last answer of today.

I did no such thing. The extra peripheral part is extraneous. You indicated the ultra-wide FOV (whether you include the extra peripheral part or not) you in and that it somehow (viewing distance dependent) belonged in this discussion.

Again, nothing added, nothing removed:

Check again with your post:
http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037889580&postcount=16

You discus no viewing angle less than 140 degrees. You indicate this has some importance based on viewing distance. It is fairly clear.

You really like to harp on me for using the THX as a more ergonomic FOV, but several times I also mentioned an ergo study showing that people move larger monitors back to a similar FOV, which you keep ignoring.

Do you actually disagree, or are you just arguing for the sake of arguing. Do you really think 140 degrees is a more ergonomic working FOV than 40 degrees??

Check my edit. I think I see where you took a left turn when it should have been right. I discuss the aspect ratio or "what aspect ratio" (you must excuse my english, I am very tired), not what to do when the aspect ratio is known.

Not a single post I have made in this thread has referred to a definite angle when it comes to viewpoint. In fact, I have said that the distance and thus the angle depends on content and therefore doesn't have a set angle/distance.

That is why THX recommandations is worthless and irrelevant to my post.
One last time: The post you are answering is about choice of aspect ratio, not where to sit when aspect ratio is known.

wow i didn't mean to spark a debate. stacking the monitors for me is the ONLY way to have very little room in between the displays. a pair of L brackets will easily allow me to do this, and if i don't like it i will make a shelf.

you guys are probably right on it creating more strain on my neck. i think i will try both and see. i just wish this fp241vw wasn't in this crazy setup.

how will the distance be less between monitors, most bezels are the same width all around the monitor..

also, placing monitor top at eye level to me make more strain as i tend to look down,. tilt my head down, thus straining my neck vs having the middle area of the monitor around my eye level....

Last edited:
Check my edit. I think I see where you took a left turn when it should have been right. I discuss the aspect ratio or "what aspect ratio" (you must excuse my english, I am very tired), not what to do when the aspect ratio is known.

Not a single post I have made in this thread has referred to a definite angle when it comes to viewpoint. In fact, I have said that the distance and thus the angle depends on content and therefore doesn't have a set angle/distance.

What edit? You have a dozen posts of dubious clarity and there is no edit on the first post that started this.

how far should you be from a screen? isn't there a chart based on size?

There are two factors to consider.

1) Ergonomic FOV/distance
Having a small enough FOV on one monitor that you can work on one monitor with moving your head or even your eyes to extremes.

This little study indicates that means have the monitor beyond the Diagonal for most people:
http://experts.ergoindemand.com/ergonomic-standards-larger-multimonitor-displays-2/

Generally speaking as far as is comfortable to view text.
http://www.ankrumassociates.com/articles/setting.htm

So from these perspectives 25" + (generally it gets better right out to 40" for maximum comfort). Note from the first link above, it doesn't increase for dual monitors, the same ergonomic factors apply for singles and duals.

2) Visual acuity limits.

The other side of the coin is you need to stay close enough to see everything easily.

You can calculate where the pixels start to blend for 20/20 vision (3438/dpi) or theoretical perfect vsion (5730/dpi).

This works out to about 37" limit for 20/20 vision on a 94 DPI 24" screen.

It is more complicated than that, but Microsoft seems to have designed the interface size to be a good viewing match to this point as well.

Put it all together and you have a range of around 25" to 37" for a 24" screen.

They are guidelines. They aren't set in stone.

Do you stay at that distance? I am usually sitting back at about 3 feet, leaning in if something is small on the screen.

no i might get closer hah, about the only thing i have right in "ergonomics" is the monitor is slightly lower than my head.

going to do some serious re-organizing tomorrow after my new screen comes

*edit*
i am using a piece of shit desk that is awful and i am sure my chair could be replaced

this will sound wild and way out there but you dont need no special stands buddy. put the monitors on the floor side by side on their regular stands they come bundled with. sit on a chair. now your angle of looking down is around 50 degrees measured from your eye to the top of the monitor. keep a distance of around 5 feet from the screen to the eye measured diagonally. your eyes will thank you a bunch and your eyes won't go bad at all from the ergonomics. they could go bad from the ccfl lights but not the ergonomics.

if you place the monitor at 3 feet above ground, then to get a 50 degree angle you'll need to go sit up at the ceiling ROFL so use the ground and save some money and your eyes!

this is perfectly in tune with what is mentioned here http://www.ankrumassociates.com/articles/setting.htm#Eyetoscreen

Last edited:
Ok, I still have fundamental issues with that, I'll PM you to spare everyone else.

PM received and answered. :)

how far should you be from a screen? isn't there a chart based on size?

There is no chart, because there is no single answer. It all depends on the content of the screen and your purpose of sitting infront of it. As previously said, its only recommandations. And, the recommanded distance for viewing a movie or playing a game isn't nessesarily the same as for reading/writing text.

The goal with ergonomy is to position yourself according to the tasks, so the body gets as high comfort and as little strain as possible to perform them.

Thats why you see a lot of the guides focus on posture and movement.

Because computer chairs swivel left to right. Not up and down. You'd need hydraulics if you wanted to stack your monitors. lol

90% of human visual interaction involves looking more dramatically left and right than up and down.

Back