How come all my ports are in Stealth mode?!?!

XacTactX

Supreme [H]ardness
So I'm having trouble with my uTorrent. I can download fine, but uTorrent is telling me that all of my ports are NOT open when I run the test, and I can seed my Linux distros only very rarely.

I found a website called ShieldsUP! which runs tests to tell you the status of your ports, and this is what I found:

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2 said:
GRC Port Authority Report created on UTC: 2012-04-28 at 06:53:43

Results from scan of ports: 0-1055

0 Ports Open
0 Ports Closed
1056 Ports Stealth
---------------------
1056 Ports Tested

ALL PORTS tested were found to be: STEALTH.

TruStealth: PASSED - ALL tested ports were STEALTH,
- NO unsolicited packets were received,
- NO Ping reply (ICMP Echo) was received.

This is obviously a problem, because I can't seed anything. But the thing is, the firewall in my MonoPrice router is turned off, I've turned off Windows Firewall, and I've turned off MSE. So what could it be? :confused:

I'm a n00b at networking, and I really appreciate your help! :)

Find out what your gateway IP is and type the following in your browser:

1. http://192.168.1.1 or whatever your gateway address is.
2. login
3. Look around for the PORT FORWARD menu.
4. Port forward whatever port you choose in uTorrent i.e. 61250 or whatever port you want Utorrent to use.
5. Port forward that port to the IP address of your desktop or laptop you are trying to use uTorrent on.

it might ask you for a port range.... just use 61250 - 61250 so there is really no range. But of course 61250 is just an example and the port can be anything you want it to be.
Here is a list of ports you do NOT want to use for uTorrent. Any of the ports listed in white on this webpage WILL NOT work with uTorrent.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_TCP_and_UDP_port_numbers

if you are using Port Forwarding you need to make sure that you manually, i.e. statically, assign an IP address of your choice to your computer you will regularly do uTOrrent downloads and uploads on. If you IP changes your port forward is useless as it is stuck to whatever you tell it to do in your router menu.

Lastly look in your router and see if you have an option called uPnP. If so turn it on.

then all you have do in uTorrent is tell it to use uPnP and you dont have to configure crap.

Hope this helps. Good luck! Let learning begin!

Thank you tangoseal, that was insanely helpful. I went to my router's setup and I forwarded a few ports for uTorrent (since one would not work) and now I'm back in business.

PS Your post is a great example of how to make a concept easy to digest so that a n00b does not get lost. Normally when people are experienced with something they condense their writing, but when you're new to something it trips you up. Not this time. :)

Thank guys!

Eh, something tells me he might be able to get away with using Port 17 for uTorrent, for example. :p

Back