How can you tell which hard drive Windows 7 is using for the Experience Index?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I am using Windows 7 RC and the Windows Experience Index score for my hard drive is 5.9.
Windows is installed to a Intel X25-M 80GB SSD so I'd expect that number to be higher. I suspect it's testing one of the hard drives, but how can I tell?

It uses the drive it's installed on. It uses capacity as a measure of the score. Your speed is high but capacity is low.

It uses the drive it's installed on. It uses capacity as a measure of the score. Your speed is high but capacity is low.
Weird, I saw someone with a Vertex SSD and their score was 7.0 and they only have 40GB more. http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=765316&st=30&p=590925170&#entry590925170
Anyway, that's pretty dumb, especially when you consider I only have 40GB free, I'd expect the score to be a lot lower.
And it says "data disk transfer rate", so I'd expect it to be based on that, not capacity.

Simple rule of thumb:

The Windows Experience Index or WinSAT or whatever they hell they call it is absolutely useless information and does no one any good shooting for that 7... ;)

The WEI/WinSAT in the RC build was defective, also, and has been improved upon remarkably in later builds. It's effectively complete as of 7260 and from what I gather nothing further will be changed or addressed from this build on.

Just for the record, the two 80GB VelociRaptors I had a few months ago were scoring 6.4 with 215MB/s sustained reads and 220MB/s sustained writes. I miss those drives, I really do. ;)

w7292x.jpg

HD is WD 640GB

desktop performance for windows aero 6.8 :confused: so GTX 285 can't really run aero :D

Back