How can you connect 2 networks via the Internet?

sorny

Gawd
Ok, I know a guy that has two small offices about 20 miles apart that uses a simple program has keeps appointments. At office 1 it runs on a computer in the back (Win98) and just has a shared folder. On the computer out front it just has that folder mapped and the program is ran over the share (it's only like 40k, pretty old program) and it works great. Now he has the second office with a similar network but wants to be able to run the program as it is at the 2nd office w/o spending thousands and having dedicated lines or anything done. Anyone got any ideas? It'd be great to be able to map the drive from the 2nd office as it's done at the first one, but I dunno how since they're seperate networks. We were thinking of having them go with DSL at each office anyways, so that might help. Really it'd be ok if they had a seperate phone line at each office and modems connecting them if that's easiest, not like 100mb of data is going to be sent a day. I'm guessing about 2mb.

Hey,

You're probably looking for a VPN router.

Look in Google for that.

Cisco / Linksys have some models

Also look at the Multitech RF550VPN SOHO VPN Router (link )

VPN sounds like what you need. OpenVPN is available on SourceForge.net.
http://openvpn.sourceforge.net
This is free, and relatively easy to set up if you have any experience with running services, and editing simple scripts. They have extensive help pages, and manuals, so you should be able to get it going even if you have no clue, albiet with a little more work and research. I use this program with weak encryption to play C&C Generals with some friends, and it works fine for that, so a little file sharing should be no problem. The program offers simple preshared keys for 1server-1client VPN encryption, so you're golden. If you were going to do multiple clients it gets really complicated. Avoid the Certificate/Key RSA deal since you don't need to use it under the setup that you described. This system works with Dial-up and broadband seamlessly as long as you set it up as a service on the serving (file sharing) computer. I have been tooling around with this program for quite a while now, and I love it. Once it's set up you almost forget it's even there it's so trouble-free and transparent.

Edit-
You need to make sure that you know how to set up any computer that is behind a router/firewall to be able to use a specific port for a service. If the computers dial-up or are directly connected to the modem then don't worry about ports.

You have aboslutely no reason to go out and buy a hardware VPN router. This software is free and does everything and more.

Back