How can I tell if a product key has been registered?

Max-Powers

Gawd
My friend has a copy of Vista ultimate for sell for $60. (the 32 and 64 bit version) He said he got it from someone else who said they didn't use it, and he said he didn't use it other than to make sure everything was there. Is there a way I can make sure it hasn't been registered?

There is no way.

Even if there was, it would not guarantee that it would not be activated later!
You have no way of knowing if they have kept a copy of the key, or if they have given a copy to someone else.

Never buy an unsealed key.

Sometimes, you just have to take their word for it. How much of a friend is he? Do you trust him?

But, like above, you have no way to know until you install. And even then, they may have kept a copy.

The friend I am fairly sure I can trust. He said the plastic was off, but the box looked sealed. But he said the guy could have just reapplied the seal, but he does not think it was opened. It is a good deal. Hard decision to make. It is a gamble. If I install it now, and someone tries to install with that key later, will it deny them? Will it let me know right away if it is in use when I try to install it? I know my friend will give me my money back if it is in use.

If I install it now, and someone tries to install with that key later, will it deny them?
Only if they attempt to activate during the 4-6 month period immediately after you activated.
Even if they are denied, they will be refered to a person. The can lie and get it activated.

Will it let me know right away if it is in use when I try to install it?
If it does not activate and tells you that you have to call, it means that it has been activated during the last 4-6 months.

If it is a retail version (sounds like it is), then it really doesn't matter if it's been used before or not. If you are holding the COA, then you are legit, even though you may have to call in for an activation code.

If it is a retail version (sounds like it is), then it really doesn't matter if it's been used before or not. If you are holding the COA, then you are legit, even though you may have to call in for an activation code.

agreed. If he kept a copy and uses it after he's sold it to you, then he is doing something illegal, not you. Retail keys can be transferred, so if you buy it, it's yours. Just make sure it includes the COA.

The question really just becomes "is possibly having to call microsoft every time you install the OS worth the savings?" At 60 bucks I say it is.

This is my answer as well.

If it's OEM, then don't even consider it. It could also be a student edition, but as far as I know, there is no real way to tell that either.

The question really just becomes "is possibly having to call microsoft every time you install the OS worth the savings?" At 60 bucks I say it is.

pretty much x2

I got my copy of windows the same as the OP. A guy on my car club message board bought the 32bit ultimate version which also came with the 64bit version... he sold me the 64bit OS for like 20 or so :)

everything works fine, but even if I had to call, the savings in $$$ would of been well worth the hastle imo

This is my answer as well.

If it's OEM, then don't even consider it. It could also be a student edition, but as far as I know, there is no real way to tell that either.

As far as I know, student editions don't come in the full retail packaging. At least not the one's I've seen. It may be different depending on the university, I guess.

Back