how can i stop reverse dns/stop showing all the sites i host

user3657

Limp Gawd
got any creative ways to do this? I host a few websites on my home server with a cable modem. i use a dns service and just plug in my ip, since it never changes. when u do a reverse dns, all my sites that i host show up. can i stop this? got any creative ideas? I cant get a extra ip from my isp so thats out of the question. my main issue is i would like to create a new website, i dont want anyone to beable to see what my other sites are. i dont know if i can do this on the same ip though.

Uhh, could you explain a bit more, I don't think the term you are looking for is reverse DNS. For your IP address only one name would come back and that in your case should be what ever your ISP designated that to be. PTR records (reverse DNS) are delegated to the ISP who is allocated the net block and from there the ISP can delegate it as they see fit. How ever if this is some consumer cable/DSL connection you won't be changing those records, and you won't be getting your ISP to change it. If you want that kind of ability you should be looking at dedicated or colocated hosting.

if u do a reverse lookup on an ip that hosts websites(as i do,doesnt matter that im on cable), you are able to get a response back of all sites hosted. the reverse dns shows you all the domain names thats hosted under that ip(me).

my ip is 1.1

you type in 1.1

you get back

www.hardfourms.com
yahoo.com
google.com.....and all domain names pointing to that ip of 1.1

how can i host another website and avoid this lookup?

Uhh, no, only one record comes back for a single PTR record. They should be a 1 to 1 mapping and controlled by whom ever is allocated the net block, in your case likely your ISP but possibly even their provider. An example below using hardocp.

Code:
dig 101.99.126.75.in-addr.arpa PTR

; <<>> DiG 9.3.4 <<>> 101.99.126.75.in-addr.arpa PTR
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 41386
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 2

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;101.99.126.75.in-addr.arpa.    IN      PTR

;; ANSWER SECTION:
101.99.126.75.in-addr.arpa. 3600 IN     PTR     www2.hardocp.com.

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
99.126.75.in-addr.arpa. 37844   IN      NS      ns1.softlayer.com.
99.126.75.in-addr.arpa. 37844   IN      NS      ns2.softlayer.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns2.softlayer.com.      320143  IN      A       66.228.119.9
ns1.softlayer.com.      320143  IN      A       66.228.118.8

;; Query time: 45 msec
;; SERVER: 64.38.5.242#53(64.38.5.242)
;; WHEN: Tue Dec 18 23:02:00 2007
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 152

These records can NOT be changed by any random person, only by the people operating the name servers delegated by the Internet Registry they are allocated from, or that company can sub-delegate as needed. Unless you work for that ISP you won't be getting to change those records.

Again, I think you got something mix up or misunderstood.

ops sorry, the correct term is reverse ip....i edited the tile to fix this. for example if u do a reverse ip for zipzoomfly....al these domains point to the same ip.....

Xtraplus.com

Zipzoomfly.com

Zzfusa.com

its a good question... and i think all of the magic is in the DNS servers anyway, which you really don't have any control over...

the only thing i can think of right off the bat, is using web forwarding to point those other addresses to another website (and therefore IP) and having it redirect back to yours...

i know there are configurations in webservers that allow you to have different websites all resolve to one IP, yet will send them to different pages depending on which actual site is requested... i.e. a.com, b.com and c.com all point to 1.1.1.1, but a.com goes to the /a directory in your pubhttp folder, and b.com goes to /b and etc... but i don't think that changes anything in the DNS records that run the internets

ops sorry, the correct term is reverse ip....i edited the tile to fix this. for example if u do a reverse ip for zipzoomfly....al these domains point to the same ip.....

Xtraplus.com

Zipzoomfly.com

Zzfusa.com

Show me some example of what you are using to preform this query, because the only way to get all this info is to collect it into some DB after doing a bunch of forward lookups. Honestly, you won't be hiding this information if you want to actually host the sites. Why are you so worried about it any how?

i know there are configurations in webservers that allow you to have different websites all resolve to one IP, yet will send them to different pages depending on which actual site is requested... i.e. a.com, b.com and c.com all point to 1.1.1.1, but a.com goes to the /a directory in your pubhttp folder, and b.com goes to /b and etc... but i don't think that changes anything in the DNS records that run the internets
It is called virtual hosting, a lot of web hosting companies do this (dreamhost for example) it allows them to host a lot of sites on one server (and oversell it) to make a nice profit off a bunch of people paying a few bucks a month for hosting.

It is called virtual hosting, a lot of web hosting companies do this (dreamhost for example) it allows them to host a lot of sites on one server (and oversell it) to make a nice profit off a bunch of people paying a few bucks a month for hosting.

and i think its friggin cool

but probably OT anyway, shouldn't have even mentioned it

Back