How can I share files between 2 XP machines?

pbXassassinX1524

[H]ard|Gawd
I was wondering, whats the easiest wireless way to go about sharing files with a XP home and XP Pro machine. I was also wondering if there is an easy way to share a USB printer over some kind of netowork.

I'm a completely noob to wireless networking, and I don't have any kind of broadband internet connection (if that makes any difference)

So what i'm really looking for is someone to find me a good guide or something somewhere on the net.

Thanks.

if they both have a NIC card (network, brandband card) then u can buy a cross over cable from radioshack or comp store and connect them. u may need need to create a floopy to put into the other computer to connect. xp will auto do that. and if u want guides search google for Cross connections, or something similar to that.

Get the crossover cable, and hard code IP address on each machine....then, you can share files and folders, printers, etc.

I saw the words wireless in your post. Wired may be cheaper. here's a link to a page that may help you decide if and what you want to do. Do you have any broadband plans? If so you should look to get hardware that will be of some use should you decide to go that way.

http://www.linksys.com/edu/

:)

well, a wired solution really isnt going to work in this case. I need something wireless, since I'm linking between, well... 2 different floors and a staircase, lol. (EDIT- thanks mabegman)

No, I can't have any hope of broadband... at least not any time in the near/far future. I live in the middle of complete nowhere and 25000 ft away from the CO.

Gotta suck being strapped to dial up with your sig comp. Always had good luck with the Linksys stuff. Easy to set up too. D-Link's site may be of some help. Both generally get good review on their products. Good Luck.:D

yea, your telling me... especially when all of my friends do live within the range of the server. (they are about as computer savvy as say... a bookshelf :D)

Anyway, what about the ASUS wifi-b card? It says that it has a software access point... but wouldnt that require something else to run in the backround on my system? The only reason I ask is because I saw one for 18 bucks and I have that ASUS wifi slot on my mobo.

Back