How can i push out software with Small business server 2000/2003

xFuryofFivex

[H]ard|Gawd
Ive searched google and got everything but what i was looking for.

basically just wanna learn how to make a server push out an installation

Read up on Group Policy Objects (GPO), you can create a "package" and send it out to client machines from there. The other option is something like M$ SMS or Symantec Patch Management. I have not used the symentec version. For GPO go to:

Open Active Directory Users and Computers (ADUC)

Right Click on the Orginizational Unit (OU) that you want to place the GPO, click on properties.

Then Click on the "Group Policy" tab.

Expand Computer Configuration then Click on "Software Settings"

Click on "Software Installation"

Do a little reading on GPO's before you apply software installation and how GPO's are applied to child objects.

Hope this helps!

xFuryofFivex said:
someone iwork with said i could put stuff in the client apps folder

dont think it can be done with server 2003 you can only do 2 things, publish and assaign, when you publish a peice of software it shows up in that users/computers add or remove programs, and if you assign a peice of software its installed once the user logs in or the computer starts up

xFuryofFivex said:
someone iwork with said i could put stuff in the client apps folder

They know very little of what they speak. The clientapps folder contains a set of predetermined applications that are installed using a login batch file in Small Business Server only. There is no clientapps folder in any other Windows Server product.

Simply dropping the applications into that folder will not work. There is a wizard in SBS that can add additional applications, however to make things seamless, the application you want to deploy will needs to be fully automated in some fashion, otherwise your users will be prompted for information they may not know what to enter.

AMD_Gamer speaks of using Group Policy to deploy applications (namely apps end in .MSI) which also require creating an unattended package for simplicity which is how I prefer to deploy applications.

xFuryofFivex said:
but i said small business server... not straight server 2003

SBS is the same thing as windows server 2003 just with added fetures like exchange server

SJConsultant said:
AMD_Gamer speaks of using Group Policy to deploy applications (namely apps end in .MSI) which also require creating an unattended package for simplicity which is how I prefer to deploy applications.

you can use any .exe program but you have to make a zap file but its extremely simple

AMD_Gamer said:
SBS is the same thing as windows server 2003 just with added fetures like exchange server

FYI Not anymore in the case of R2. There are some Server OS level differences now in R2 that are not present in SBS R2.

AMD_Gamer said:
you can use any .exe program but you have to make a zap file but its extremely simple

Hence my wording "namely" since MSI's are more commonly deployed than EXEs ;)

how about an automatic installation,, like when the user logs in. it prompts them to install the file or program

xFuryofFivex said:
how about an automatic installation,, like when the user logs in. it prompts them to install the file or program

windows server 2003 software deployment, you "assign" the program to user or computer

and this will work with SBS2000/2003

and couldnt i make a distribution group so i dont have to choose each computer by themselves

xFuryofFivex said:

and couldnt i make a distribution group so i dont have to choose each computer by themselves

You don't need to create a distribution group as the policy will apply to the computers or users at the level of your GPO.

xFuryofFivex said:

you will makie whats called an organizational unit, then you add the users or computers you want to distribute the software to into that OU, then you give that POU a group policy and you setup software deployment in the group policy

Back