How can I prevent this annoying process from loading at startup?

whisper

Limp Gawd
I am running Win 7 64 bit and having issues with a process named "IAstorDataMgrSvc.exe". I know what this is and it was useful before I switched my SATA mode from AHCI to IDE (long story there, but it was necessary in order to avoid numerous system hangs and BSODs I was experiencing due to iaStor errors). For a little background on how I did this, see this article.

Now this process, IAstorDataMgrSvc.exe, still loads when I start Windows and I discovered it puts a near constant 25% load on at least 2/4 cpu cores at all times. It didn't do this when I was still running on AHCI but now it's doing it under IDE. This is annoying to say the least, and in order to shut it down I have to go into the task manager and then into the resource monitor (it does not show up in the task manager but does appear in resource monitor). Shutting it down seems to have no effect on my system.

I tried using msconfig to disable the "IAStorIcon" item under startup, but this did not prevent the process from loading on startup. Under the Services tab, I see the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology item and it is currently checked - I am wondering if it's safe to uncheck this and if that will prevent IAstorDataMgrSvc.exe from running? I assume the RST process is useless now that I am no longer using AHCI, but I wanted to ask before I do something hasty and screw up my system:p

Thanks

See this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19354321/19780427.aspx

One suggestion from there that sounds good is:

So I resolved this issue with the following
Windows Task Manager > Services ... click on Services button at bottom right
Select Intel (R) Rapid Storage Technology
Properties > Change Startup Type > Manual (was Automatic (Delayed Start))

You may also be able to get rid of it entirely by uninstalling what I've seen referred to as the "Intel RST Application" - this might show up as Intel Raid Storage Technology something or other in the program list.

I looked at the article you linked to, and I am a bit dubious of those instructions. It seems to me that if you do get rid of Intel RST, then you should have gotten rid of the underlying iaStor issue and be able to switch back to AHCI. If you aren't running RAID, then you don't need this at all.

Thanks for the feedback! The article I followed was not specifically aimed at overcoming the iaStor error issues. It's just a way to switch to IDE mode without having to re-install the OS. Switching to IDE mode, in turn, is one confirmed way to get rid of the iaStor errors permanently (the obvious downside is that AHCI can no longer be used if desired).

I will try to change the startup type to manual as the thread suggested to overcome my problem with the IAstor process. I'm not sure whether AHCI strictly requires the Intel RST service to be running though. It's obviously important for a RAID setup, but I was under the impression it was also necessary/recommended simply to operate in AHCI mode. i.e. AHCI and RST go hand in hand, but for IDE it's not needed. Anyone know for sure about this?

I'll post another link:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250964

Apparently, if you're using an SSD, you can use either the default Microsoft drivers or the Intel RST drivers, and now that both support TRIM, there is no real difference between the two. Since Intel RST is causing you problems and you are not even using RAID or an SSD, there's no reason not to get rid of Intel RST.

Okay thanks, this has been very helpful. I changed the startup type for Intel RST to manual and this did the trick - it did not load on startup.

Now after all of this messing around, I wonder if I could have just done that from the beginning instead of modifying my registry and switching to IDE mode. I found this article about switching to AHCI from IDE, which would require another minor registry tweak. I'm not sure if I would also need to remove the IDE registry entries that I added yesterday. Now that everything is working I'm reluctant to start hacking again, but it's going to bug me a little bit:rolleyes:

See this thread:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19354321/19780427.aspx

One suggestion from there that sounds good is:

You may also be able to get rid of it entirely by uninstalling what I've seen referred to as the "Intel RST Application" - this might show up as Intel Raid Storage Technology something or other in the program list.

I looked at the article you linked to, and I am a bit dubious of those instructions. It seems to me that if you do get rid of Intel RST, then you should have gotten rid of the underlying iaStor issue and be able to switch back to AHCI. If you aren't running RAID, then you don't need this at all.

I have a dell 560S with the celeron processor and I was having trouble with my cpu being used up by the iastordatamgrsvc.exe and I set the program to manual which fixed the problem...my question is, do I really need to have this program at all...I considered setting my SATA mode from ATA to RAID which I suppose will enable ACHI and then resetting the Intel Rapid Storage back to Automatic(delay Start)...however, my computer is working just fine without it sooooo....can anyone tell me if I really need to use it at all...my system is a single hard drive.

IDE mode is going to not be quite as fast as AHCI/RAID mode. I have done tests so it is not just something I heard.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that you can uninstall the Intel Rapid Storage Technology from add/remove programs, which would remove this service.

Also keep in mind that you do not need to install the RST utility in order to use AHCI mode. Switch the mainboard to AHCI, Install the OS, then when in Windows download the latest F6 drivers (they call them), then point the AHCI Storage Device (in Device Manager) to the F6 folder and install the new drivers. This way you have the latest 10.1, 10.5, 10.8, 11.1 etc driver, without using the RST utility (this is what I do) This probably would of fixed your problem in the first place.

Back