How can I play the same MP3 on 3 networked computers at once?

DellAxim

Gawd
I have 3 networked computers in my house that all have good sound systems. It would be really cool if I could play the same MP3 on them all at the same time. Any ideas how I might be able to do that?

Oh, you mean play an mp3 on all three systems -- in sync -- via a command from one? Your question was too vague to imply that one scenario.

You could rig a shoutcast server and let all three systems listen to it. That might do it.

A three-port hub thing with reeeeeally long wires.

Or, yeah, what the other people said.

I think the VLC or Shoutcast streamer would be what you are looking for. Once you have all the PC's connected to the server, it's just like having multiple radios tuned to the same station.

DellAxim said:
Re-read the question, and then come back when you have an answer.

Is that a good way to treat people who spend the time viewing your problem? Damn...this is becoming an outbreak...people post a vague as hell problem, and then flame those who can't read minds to get the details.

Anyway, as others have said, Shoutcast or some method of streaming is what you want, but based on network conditions, computers, etc, it still may not be totally synced. We used to run a server here in our office to stream music using Shoutcast, but it wasn't in sync over several computers. This was on the same subnet in the same physical location.

For future reference, if you have a question, put a little effort into describing it so people know what's going on. None of us have ESP, so if you can't put any effort into it, then expect answer like Iomn75's first one.

I don't even mind the vague first question -- that sort of thing happens. I get pissed when OPs turn around and go self-righteous because the rest of us can't read their minds.

The correct Post #3 would have read:
Sorry, I meant that I wanted all three systems to play the same playlist in sync.

I was thinking about this the other day. Theres got to be a winamp plugin for this... but the Shoutcast idea would work too as long as they all buffer it the same way....

there is a winamp plug-in...
I used it BACK IN DA DAY, about maybe 5 years ago... so it might be buried in their site...

Back