How can I partition a USB flash drive in Windows?

Bird222

[H]ard|Gawd
Does someone know of a utility that will allow me to partition a USB flash drive in Windows? Partition Magic won't do it, neither will 'disk management' in windows.

Thanks!

If by Windows, you mean Windows XP then there is nothing built in. If by Windows, you mean Windows Vista, you can do it at a command line using diskpart. You can also set a partition to be active.

Hrm... I just popped my Lexar USB Jumpdrive into my laptop here and fired up the disk management utility (right click my computer, manage, disk management). I then removed the existing partition and created two new partitions on it. I formatted them with FAT and they seem to be working fine.

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Hrm... I just popped my Lexar USB Jumpdrive into my laptop here and fired up the disk management utility (right click my computer, manage, disk management). I then removed the existing partition and created two new partitions on it. I formatted them with FAT and they seem to be working fine.

I'm using Windows XP SP2.

Yeah I dunno what these other people are talking about.

Use Disk Management. It works fine.

Maybe the OP has some special flash drive software loaded.

Diskpart didn't work in vista. The option to delete the existing partition was greyed out in Vista and XP. I just deleted it in Win 2000 Pro, but it won't let me create a partition less that the maximum size of the drive. Now that the drive doesn't have a partition, I am going to see what XP and/or Vista will let me do with it.

Just more weirdness. I made a partition smaller than the stick size in Vista. Vista nor XP would create a second partition or delete the smaller partition. I go back to the same Win 2000 machine to delete this partition so I can at least have my full capacity back, well now it won't delete the partition either. I am going to use the method in the second post to recover my drive space.

Back