how can i overclock higher??

baballin328

Limp Gawd
I have a AMD 3200+ winchester at 2.412GHZ (268x9) on a Gigabyte GA-k8NSC-939. I want to get it higher, but I don't know what else to do. I have the ram ratio thing at 2/1.33. My corsair value select is running at 3.0 cas, 3-3-3-8. HT multiplier is at 3x. if i try to overclock higher, my comp just restarts as it's loading windows. I thought the ram was overheating, so i put a fan over it, but that didn't change anything. How can i get it higher??

Thanks! :)

ok i still can't get the overclock higher, i'm thinking about getting a new HSF (Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro 64) so I can up the voltage. I'm thinking my mobo needs more voltage for a more stable overclock.
These are my temps rite now (idle):
Temp 1:25C
Temp 2 (sensor closest to cpu on the mobo i think): 36C
Temp 3 5C
Temp 34C
HD0 36C
HD1 31C
Core: 43C

I don't really think I need a new HSF as my current one seems to be doing OK (?) But I want to make my comp quieter and cooler. So do you think it would get me a better overclock if I say, set the voltage to 1.6v?

This makes me feel kinda bad at ocing :rolleyes: : http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.aspx?i=2242&p=5 a 3000+ at 2.6?! at 1.52 volts?!!!!!! :(

Not all chips will be able to net the same results. They just got a better chip if it can do x at x volts. It also depends on the stability of other components as well, especially your ram.

If you want a higher overclock you need to part ways with that Winchester chip and get a Venice. You should feel fortunate you got the Winnie up as high as you did.

For sure. I had a 3500 that would only do 2.5. This work rig im on now has a 3200 in it and oc's very well. 2.6 on air.

baballin328 said:
How is it all luck??

It has to do with how semi-conductors are made. It's like baking cookies. They all have similar properties and taste the same. In the case of CPU's, they all meet certain minimum requirements and conform to specific specifications, but some CPU's do so just barely, and others do so by a large margin. In manufacturing, its all about tolerances and there is an incredible amount of variance between products. This also leads to CPU binning, which is how we end up with so many different variations and models of the same product.

No two will overclock exactly the same. Some need more voltage, others need less. The motherboards and ram all posess semi-conductors as well, so they all vary individually. This is why you can take a single CPU and get different results on different motherboards.

Smoove910 said:
If you want a higher overclock you need to part ways with that Winchester chip and get a Venice. You should feel fortunate you got the Winnie up as high as you did.

Agreed.

My Venice 3000+ (default 1.8GHz) hits 2.7GHz on an Asus A8N-E mobo, using the standard CPU cooler.
The only special trick I use is drawing cold air from the side of the case directly onto the cpu fan through some tumble dryer hose (no extra fan used).
Without the hose, I can get over 2.65GHz rock stable with higher temps.

Ok, im thinking about getting a opty 144 later. i don't know if it will be soon or not, but will they get even cheaper once 4x4 is out? rite now i can get it for $80 new at monarch computer (amd sale)

If you want/need more power now, the prices are pretty cheap for single core.
If you can hang on, the dual core chips are sure to drop in price a bit but dont expect them to be near the single core prices for some time.

I cant speculate on what you should do as I have no idea what you use your PC for and what you expect from it.

I surf the internet, aim, listen to music, and game. I play games like FEAR combat, GTA SA, wolfenstein ET. I just want my comp to be fast without spending a lot of money. Do you think I should upgrade my video card or CPU?

baballin328 said:
I surf the internet, aim, listen to music, and game. I play games like FEAR combat, GTA SA, wolfenstein ET. I just want my comp to be fast without spending a lot of money. Do you think I should upgrade my video card or CPU?

If you're looking to game, most definitely the videocard.

ok will gpus be cheaper once dx10 is coming out? i dont plan to upgrade to dx10 when it first comes out.

baballin328 said:
ok will gpus be cheaper once dx10 is coming out? i dont plan to upgrade to dx10 when it first comes out.

do you mean DX9 based cards? I'm sure they will. How much were you looking to spend in total for this upgrade?

baballin328 said:
Not a lot, around $100
An X800GTO should be adequate for horsepower...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814131007
I have the X800GTO2 which was easilt BIOS flashed to X850 levels. Of course, you could probably get an X850 Platinum for a very reasonable price... possibly a rebate as well. You'll most definately want something that has a 256-bit memory interface... This helps emmensely!!!

I need an AGP card though......lol Im probably going to upgrade once DX10 comes out (which is when?) so I can get DX9 cards cheaper

Glyphic said:
It's all luck.
i disagree. it's like 50% luck with cpus and like 20% luck with ram. video cards are a mixed bag, depending on your vmodding skills ;)

So what cards would you recommend: x1600? x800? at ~$100. I'm hoping that during the Thanksgiving/Christmas sales there would be some decent video cards on sale.

baballin328 said:
So what cards would you recommend: x1600? x800? at ~$100. I'm hoping that during the Thanksgiving/Christmas sales there would be some decent video cards on sale.

If the card you're currently on is the 6200 in your sig, you could get an unbelievable performance boost from something like a 7600GS. If you're able to find an x800GTO or 6800 vanilla (most likely would have to buy used to find the 6800 at that price) those would also be good options. However, for right around your pricepoint new, the 7600GS and X800 series cards are your best bets.

Yea I'm on my 6200 (CRAP! god I hate it....) I'm only getting around ~4950 in 3d mark 03 for all the tests....What should I expect from a x800GTO or a 7600GS?

BTW: whats the speed on the 7600? it doesn't say...

baballin328 said:
Yea I'm on my 6200 (CRAP! god I hate it....) I'm only getting around ~4950 in 3d mark 03 for all the tests....What should I expect from a x800GTO or a 7600GS?

BTW: whats the speed on the 7600? it doesn't say...

If you want to compare the processing power of videocards, use gpureview.com. Here is a comparison of your current card and the 7600GS, and it should be around 4 times faster. In games, it'll be immeasurably better. The X800GTO here shows very similar performance to the 7600GS.

k thanks! but it seems like people like the x800gto more, and I was leaning a bit more towards that than the 7600gs in the beginning. But what 3dmark score do you think I would be abe to get?

baballin328 said:
k thanks! but it seems like people like the x800gto more, and I was leaning a bit more towards that than the 7600gs in the beginning. But what 3dmark score do you think I would be abe to get?

To be honest I don't pay attention at all to 3DMark scores, so I wouldn't be able to tell you. However, I'm sure a quick google would give you the info you're looking for.

loxety said:
no intel oc guide?
i'll write one once i get a conroe to play with and some spare time

imo though, oc'ing a 631 is a lot easier than oc'ing asempron 3400+... :p

baballin328 said:
Here are my screenie's using the X800GTO2.

3dMark03.jpg

Chernobyl1 said:
Agreed.

My Venice 3000+ (default 1.8GHz) hits 2.7GHz on an Asus A8N-E mobo, using the standard CPU cooler.
The only special trick I use is drawing cold air from the side of the case directly onto the cpu fan through some tumble dryer hose (no extra fan used).
Without the hose, I can get over 2.65GHz rock stable with higher temps.
Nice! Think such a hose will help me? I run my 3000+ Venice at 9x294, 2645 mhz rock stable, but I can't go any higher and I get pretty high temps.

I guess you need a 3200+ if you want to go higher than 2.7 ghz, I haven't seen many 3000+ surpass that on air.

Majestic12 said:
Nice! Think such a hose will help me? I run my 3000+ Venice at 9x294, 2645 mhz rock stable, but I can't go any higher and I get pretty high temps.

I guess you need a 3200+ if you want to go higher than 2.7 ghz, I haven't seen many 3000+ surpass that on air.

Its very possible.
Have you checked if your mobo can achieve a higher HTT.
If your motherboard is maxed then no, otherwise yes.
Also if you need to slow down the timings on your ram to get a higher HTT then it may not be worthwhile.
You could be lucky though :)

Be sure to get a hose thats the same size as the CPU fan.

Back