How can I make this work?

[-erick-]

n00b
Setup

Modem -> Wifi Router 10/100mbps -> 2 wired PC, 3 wifi laptops

PC1: Asus Commando (2 nic)
PC2: Asus Rampage 2 Extreme (2 nic)

PC1 is my downloading machine, sometimes i download x264, movie packs (at least 40-60gb). When i copy from PC1 to PC2 my speed is from 10-11.5mbps. Both PC have gigabit nics (so i bought a CAT6 patch cord) directly connected both PC and my transfer rate jumped to 32mbps-33mbps.

PC1 (nic1) connected to router
(nic2) with CAT6 connected to nic2 of PC2

PC2 (nic1) connected to router
(nic2) with CAT6 connected to nic2 of PC1

If i enable nic2 (CAT6) i loose my internet connection, is there a way for me to connect both CAT5 (to browse the internet) and CAT6 for filetransfers?

Can setup a few different ways....but one way...
Unbind File and Print Sharing services from the NICs connected to your router (uncheck box in adapter properties)
On the NICs directly connected to each other....make that IP range different than the IP range of your router, so say your routers range is 192.168.1.xxx, make these NICs IP addresses something like 192.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.101, 24 bit subnet on both, and leave the gateway blank. Don't even need DNS entries if you enable netbios over IP for each.

To do this with single-NIC PCs, or if you need to add more than just the two PCs, just buy a gigabit switch and plug it into one of the router's LAN ports. This will simply act like an extension of the router's ports, and connections between any two devices on the gigabit switch will support 1000Mb. You can still use the other ports on the router for 100Mb devices.

Code:
Modem -> Wifi Router 10/100mbps -> Gigabit switch -> Gigabit PCs
          |               |
  Wifi laptops         100Mb devices

To do this with single-NIC PCs, or if you need to add more than just the two PCs, just buy a gigabit switch and plug it into one of the router's LAN ports. This will simply act like an extension of the router's ports, and connections between any two devices on the gigabit switch will support 1000Mb. You can still use the other ports on the router for 100Mb devices.

Code:
Modem -> Wifi Router 10/100mbps -> Gigabit switch -> Gigabit PCs
          |               |
  Wifi laptops         100Mb devices

Thanks for the info bill, atm i only got 2 Desktop that has GigaNIC.

BTW i tested YeOldeStonecat and now I have transfer speeds of 30-60mbps. Thank you!

Back